Display flicker and blue screen

joebillie

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
Hey everyone . So my Sony vaio laptop which is around 6 years old is giving me some problems lately . At the time it boots there are some weird red and black blocks and dsiplay flickering . After that the loading screen doesn't even show up and pc restarts with blue screen with atikmdag.sys
I cannot do anything but operate in safe mode as long as this thing prevails . Any kind of help will be appreciated .

Solution
Its random like any other. Just like a car when it hits 100,000 miles parts will start dieing left and right. Most anything you could buy now would be faster and cost not much more than fixing the old part. Dell Laptop $135
Sounds like either the video card is having issues, the power supply cant put out enough power for the video card, or hard drive has corruption/sector errors. Safe mode points to more the video card as the drivers arent loaded. Try uninstalling the video card drivers in safe mode to load into windows normally.

Try using ddu to remove any leftovers in safe mode.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

once in windows try to install freshly downloaded video drivers.

joebillie

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
But I cannot install the drivers after uninstalling the drivers the through safe mode .u see system doesn't only start normally . It only boots up in safe mode . If I start it normally it just shows blue screen and restarts . Any ideas ?

So it doesn't start normally after uninstalling the video drivers? It sounds like you may need to try a factory reset. If that doesn't work then you have hardware problems for sure.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DekclaZkcFQ"][/video]

All their systems have a factory restore partition. As for how long with a rebuillt GPU not long. Your probably looking at other failers. I suggest building a new system on the 5th with Intels latest i3 quad core coffee lake or AMD Ryzen. What parts do you have that can be reused and budget can you get on a new build.