Display freeze and black screen when using Nvidia drivers

Mar 13, 2018
Alright so I have an MSI GTX 1070, after I install any of the Nvidia drivers on the website (current drivers, older drivers, all the same problem) my screen will freeze for a second or two, go black, and then come back. This happens occasionally when idle and any motion or action on the screen will also cause this. Opening or closing applications, moving a file explorer window around in circles will cause the freezing and black screen. I have tried with and without using DDU and it makes no difference. The only thing I've found that works is disabling the drivers or not having them installed and using the default windows video drivers, when it's like that it works normally. I have also tried things like changing the resolution and refresh rate and still no effect.

Before I had this problem I was experiencing a different issue where any game I ran, be it The Witcher 3 or a flash game from Itch.io, after a few minutes the application would freeze, I could still hear the audio and move in the menus but the application window would be frozen. When trying to fix that problem with a clean video driver install is what got me to my current predicament.

Also windows 10 is up to date if that would make a difference

I have run out of ideas and would appreciate input

My specs are as follows:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4Zzhq4

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory [Only using one, 2nd is dead]
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Monitor: Acer - XB241H bmipr 24.0" 1920x1080 180Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Corsair - STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from noahybarra6 : "Display freeze and black screen when using Nvidia drivers"