Question Display Freezes Into Black Screen, Now Can't Get Image At All

Some Lazy Clouds

Honorable
Sep 26, 2014
Hi, this is my first time posting on TH and I'm very new with tech forums in general. I was in the middle of playing a video game on my pc when suddenly it froze up and the screen went black but the pc remained on. Eventually I manually powered it off using the power button. Upon turning it back on, my motherboard logos displayed and a windows black screen with blue logo and spinning circle display before the screen goes black. I manually restarted it one more time but now I am shown a windows screen on how an error occurred and how I can restart or view advanced options. I chose restart and was able to get to my desktop again before locks up and blackscreens again.

The next day (this morning) I woke up and tried powering on again and after a very long boot time I eventually made it to the desktop like normal, but after about 5 minutes the exact same freeze into black screen occurred. Before crashing though, I was able to run Windows system file checker which found one corrupted file and replaced it. I also ran a Malwarebytes free scan after the restart and got 100% clean results.

After this final crash however, upon powering on my PC I am unable to get anything to display on my monitors at all. Unfortunately my CPU doesn't have integrated graphics so I can't be sure that the issue is my GPU entirely. Inside my case, all fans and lights turn on like normal including on GPU. I have already tried reseating my GPU/RAM, as well as switching my GPU to the lower PCI express 16 slot. One final thing to note is that a few days ago (3-7 days ago I'm not entirely sure) Windows updated on shut down and the update took much longer than I am used to Windows updates taking. Upon booting up the next day, boot time was slightly longer if I recall correctly and since the update my user profile icon has been a very pixelated and blown-up version of the default windows silhouette. When I was able to boot for the few minutes I could I was able to run a virus scan through malwarebytes free and everything came back clean.

I am at a loss and feeling quite beaten down at the moment. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

Some parts:
Tomahawk B450 MAX
Ryzen 7 3700X
RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA Gaming
Corsair RM850X (Gold rated 850W)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS