Question Display goes black and fans spin to full under any GPU load, replacing GPU does not fix

gordon12835

Prominent
Nov 20, 2021
This recently started happening with no software or hardware changes. Under any sort of GPU load at all, my display goes black and the fans spin up to 100%. Only way out is a hard reboot. Event Viewer has nothing interesting. It won't happen if I have the basic Microsoft VGA driver installed, but any sort of proper GPU support causes it to die, even just the Windows UI running at 4K will randomly cause it to die, and Furmark does it instantaneously. Literally the second I press the test button, every time. Same with launching any game.

After trying the basics like different drivers, reseating the GPU, etc, I did a clean reinstall of Windows, but the problem remained (I also was able to reproduce the issue from Ubuntu). At this point I assumed my GPU was dying and replaced it… only to find that the new GPU had precisely the same issue (ugh).

At this point, I've tried the following:
  • CMOS reset.
  • Downgrading BIOS.
  • Replacing all the RAM.
  • Disconnecting all external peripherals.
  • Changing out the M.2 SSDs.
  • Putting the GPU in the lower PCI-E slot.
  • Different power cord.
I'm assuming it has to be the PSU or the motherboard at this point, but how can I troubleshoot from here without just randomly replacing everything?

My hardware:
  • Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi Motherboard
  • 1200w Thermaltake Toughpower TP-1200AH5CEG Gold Modular PSU
  • Ryzen 9 3900x 12 Core Processor
  • 32gb 2x16gb G. Skill Trident Z c14 RAM
  • Asus ROG 2080 Ti and ROG 3080 (both cards have same issue)

gordon12835

Prominent
Nov 20, 2021
Decided to try replacing the PSU, and it appears the connector for the GPU power has melted. I imagine this has something to do with my troubles.

melted.jpg