Question Display goes black and then comes back on with no need to restart

baybiz85

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
The screen will randomly go black for literally a couple seconds and then come back as if nothing happened and then won't do it again. Happens sometimes after I close a game too. I'll exit a game and go to the desktop and then after I see the desktop the screen goes black for a moment and then I'm good again. Doesn't happen multiple times during a session either, just once. I have a slightly overclocked MSI RTX 2060 Super Gaming X that I just installed and I got a new 144hz monitor recently (AOC G2590FX). All other components are the same and I've never seen this. Any idea what the issue is? Happy to list any other components if necessary.

Lutfij

Titan
Try resorting to another point on a power strip or a wall socket and see if the issue crops up. You could then see if you're pending any OS updates, BIOS updates and driver updates. Speaking of which, which version of Windows 10 are you on?

You could try and use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall them manually in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator, with the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site.

baybiz85

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
So it turned out I had 3 pending windows update installs. Those finished and now I'm currently upgrading from version 1909 to version 2004. Hopefully this resolves the issue, but I already haven't noticed the problem at all yet today. I'll check for a BIOS update next. I did a fresh install of the latest gpu drivers already, so I don't think it's that.