Question Display goes off but i can hear people talking in background !

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
While playing rainbow six siege by a loop sound in motherboard the display went off but i could still hear people talking in Discord.
This happened 2nd time today...
My pc is new (1 month) except the graphics card.
Specs-Ryzen 7 2700
Gigabyte Aorus B450 Elite
8 Gb Corsair 2400 mhz
and a gtx 970 which is 3 years old
Its been one month and had no problem but today only i had this problem.

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Psu is corsair Vs 650
I think that is the issue causing this problem.
I just opened the case and cleaned the ram and when i put it back and tried to power up the pc it didnt power up at first not even after switching off the switch..I even tried to switch off and on the switch in the power supply still it didnt start but the mouse had light in it which means the power supply was working but giving power only to the usb ports...
Then after trying serveral times the switch on the power supply the pc started.....
Now i dont know what happens.....
I might get a new Psu this May but is is safe to use this psu for now ??
I think its working ok now

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The VS are not known for their quality or longevity and, without an iGP to test it's going to be difficult to rule it in/out.

If you had an iGP, or even a lower TDP GPU on hand, I'd test with that. Typically you'll find it can no longer power a higher TDP card (<200W on a 970, don't remember exact numbers), but could power.... for example, a 750TI or 1050 (75W). Helps rule out other aspects that continue to post/work then. But if you don't have anything available to you, the PSU would be a good place to start with replacements.

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Your monitor has got his own powersupply so don't worry about that psu.
Test your monitor with a gameconsole for a day and if you have got no issues it's defenetly not the monitor. I think it's honestly an unstable overclock , if its overclocked.
Ya monitor is fine , i just checked ...Now its working fine but dont know how long xD......
I am 100% sure that it could be a power supply failure or a problem with the power supply as my motherboard is new just 1 month.

Abhraneel Roy

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
This was used to happen im my older pc with same gpu and psu from this which was an i3 and a gigabyte h61 mobo.
But when it used to happen in my older pc, after black screen i had to hard reset and the windows boots but no display , that was because of a ram ..... But here the computer boots fine after black screen..
For me it happens randomly , so its kinda hard to predict when the next black screen will occur.
Its like once in 3 days or so.

Last edited: