Display goes off during Games

deebanfr

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hi,

I have MSI GTX 970 4G. The video card was working fine until a few weeks back.
I was playing the witcher 3 and the suddenly the screen just went off saying that there was no input to the monitor.
I restarted the computer and started the game again, and the problem started right after the loading screen. I also tried playing FIFA 16 and the same issue occured in FIFA too after about 5 minutes of playing the game.
So I updated all my drivers, opened up and cleaned my cabin, removed and reinstalled my video card and tried again. This time I was able to play the witcher 3 for about 20 minutes and then I started having black and white boxes flickering in the screen. So I closed the game and was watching a 720p video on VLC player and the screen went off after about 20 mins of watching the video.
So I called MSI support and they asked me to send back the video card. After a few days they just called me and informed that the card was working fine and they were testing it in furmark benchmark test. I explained that I am unable to play games and they keep claiming that the video card doesnt have any issue and that problem must be in some software or other components and that they would be shipping the same card back to me soon.

I am in a new town and dont know anyone here who has a video card or good enough PSU to help me test and find the issue

My build is core is
i5 4440
8GB DDR3
MSI GTX 970 4G
Corsair CS650M 650 Watts PSU

The GPU and PSU are fairly new. I bought them last September and they are less than a year old. Any help for finding the culprit would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

deebanfr

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I dont think the monitor is the issue.
I have been using the system using my onboard graphics card for the past 2 weeks without any issue.
I have also tried playing games like FIFA 16 on it without any problem

So you have been using it and it worked fine for the last 2 years.. Everything works fine before dying on you.. :p
Anyway it doesn't seem to be a monitor issue. The witcher 3 is a very gpu demanding game. have you checked the temperatures on your GPU while playing?

deebanfr

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I always have the temperature on the top right using the MSI Gaming app.
During gaming the temperatures have never exceeded 83C.
But now as the screen goes off right after the loading screen, the temperatures are usually below 65C

deebanfr

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Yes, I updated the drivers only after the problem started occuring and it didint provide a solution.
I also tried underclocking my GPU by limiting the power consumption using MSI Afterburner to 75%.
Still the screen was going off right after the loading screen

1N07

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2014
Run a memtest on RAM to rule that out. RAM can cause all kinds of bizzare problems that you wouldn't think to blame RAM for.
Since they tested your GPu and said it works fine, unless they lied, probably your PSU or MB is malfunctioning...