Question Display goes off while gaming

May 19, 2019
Hey guys I'm having some problem here with my PC. When I play a game for about an hour, the screen goes off and so does the sound(the sound comes from the HDMI from the GPU if that matters). At the same time the HDD indicator stops blinking and Reset button doesn't work.I have to hold the power button to shut down.
The PSU is Corsair vs650 (gray) which is very new.
So please guys help me solve the problem

Edit: I tried with headphones (Which gets Audi from realtek hd) and note when the screen turns black, I hear very distorted sound like radio without signal.

Last edited:

rgd1101

Don't
so we told you corsair VS is not good and you get it again?

To be fair, he went from a 450W to a 650W.... which shouldn't be necessary for a R9 270.

450W should have been enough, but his previous problem did sound like a faulty PSU. This problem sounds like there's something wrong with the graphics card or it's overheating.

The gray label VS is more than adequate for his build.

OP: What are your temperatures? What is your case's layout (model of case would help) and where do you have intake and exhaust fans?

May 19, 2019
To be fair, he went from a 450W to a 650W.... which shouldn't be necessary for a R9 270.

450W should have been enough, but his previous problem did sound like a faulty PSU. This problem sounds like there's something wrong with the graphics card or it's overheating.

The gray label VS is more than adequate for his build.

OP: What are your temperatures? What is your case's layout (model of case would help) and where do you have intake and exhaust fans?
I had the temperatures monitored. They were fine. Gpu never goes up more than 70-73C.I have one intake at the front and two exhaust at the back of the case

May 19, 2019
I was told that the new gray VS series is better than the old orange one and it was also on a higher tier than the older one and it's 650w which was more than I could invest on this potato.
And I'm surprised you guys still remember my older post. Amazing

May 19, 2019
I was told that the new gray VS series is better than the old orange one and it was also on a higher tier than the older one and it's 650w which was more than I could invest on this potato.
And I'm surprised you guys still remember my older post. Amazing
Another information I may give is the only game I've faced this problem with is Assassin's Creed black flag. I don't have many games on this PC but newer games like Dmc5 , Assassin's Creed Odyssey with fine
that just leave the gpu issue. might not be overheating but still failing on load.
But I get the error for very specific games.Another information I may add is the only game I've faced this problem with is Assassin's Creed black flag. I don't have many games on this PC but newer games like Dmc5 , Assassin's Creed Odyssey work fine.I haven't tested other games.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If it was ram the system would bsod, freeze or reboot but would still give a picture. Same for hdd. Neither would cause a black screen.

Underclocking the card appears to work without issue according to your other thread so looks like the card is likely the problem. Won't know for sure until it's tested in another machine.

May 19, 2019
If it was ram the system would bsod, freeze or reboot but would still give a picture. Same for hdd. Neither would cause a black screen.

Underclocking the card appears to work without issue according to your other thread so looks like the card is likely the problem. Won't know for sure until it's tested in another machine.
The GPU fans also stop spinning when that happens. So I think you are right. But what about the Buttons and HDD light not working either?

May 19, 2019
When gpu fails it can halt everything i suppose to an unresponsive system.

Have you thought about taking it to a pc store to get checked out?
I'm pretty busy nowadays but I'll try when O get some time. And this is not my main PC so it's not stopping my day. Until then I will assume it's the GPU.