Display going black again and again during gaming!

Apr 27, 2018
I set up a very low budget Entry level gaming PC with

Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 with HDMI and DVI-D as outputs
Dell E2016HV Monitor (1600*900) with VGA as only input

As you may have guessed my problem, I cannot connect these two. So i bought an inexpensive HDMI to VGA converter (does not have usb power)from local shop which is working fine.

But whenever i try to play games like Fornite, GTA V, the screen randomly goes black again and again. I think it could be a problem with my adapter, but i am not sure as it is working fine when doing casual stuff like playing videos, browsing etc.

Also I am not sure if my adaptter is a passive one or active one because it came in a zipper pouch that only said "HDMI to VGA Adapter" and it looked like this: https://ibb.co/kQhjUH

Please do help me with this problem.

UPDATE: i pugged this adapter to my friend's PC that has GT 730 but it worked fine with games too but his monitor's resolution is 1366*768.

schaft

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
My office pc also use hdmi to vga adapter. Mine work just fine without hicup. My gpu is rx 480 and monitor also 1600x900.
If you do not have trouble during normal browsing, that mean your adapter is working.
I think the black is caused by the gpu trying using resolution bigger than it supposed to be. Try use a lower resolution such as 1440x720.
If it does not help, you might want to reinstall the gpu driver with fresh install.

Apr 27, 2018

I tried it did not work...
And i also tried plugging the same adapter to my friends rig that has Zotac Geforce GT 730 and in his PC it worked fine in the games too BTW his monitor's resolution is 1366*768.