Question Display going black for a few seconds

Feb 25, 2023
So my main monitor just randomly blanks out to a black screen for a quick second then right back. It does not happen at all in a game or on zoom but it happens when clicking on chrome, in programs like photoshop etc and sometimes just while not even doing anything. I have updated drivers and a great system etc.. Not sure where to go on this one i have tried everything i found, it is just getting annoying.

Main monitor is a sharp 43" 4k TV - additional monitors are 2 32" Omen Monitors (i have seen it do it on these also just very rare.

System stats:

Windows 11 Pro
motherborad: MEG Z590 Godlike
Processor: 11 Gen i9
graphics:
Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti - runs only the main monitor Sharp 43"
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Ti - runs other 2 omen monitors 32"

This has been going on for a long time but it never bothered me as i only noticed it once in a while in photoshop, but i recently reinstalled my computer and now it is happening all the time it is getting very annoying but again it does not happen when gaming or on zoom etc...

Any help is appreciated!!

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes just before or at the time of the black screens.

Overall thought being that the PSU is begining to falter and fail and is unable to meet some sudden change(s) in power demands.

Could be something else:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place. Inside and out.

Use a bright flashlight to look for signs of damage.

Reactions: bslevin08
Feb 25, 2023
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes just before or at the time of the black screens.

Overall thought being that the PSU is begining to falter and fail and is unable to meet some sudden change(s) in power demands.

Could be something else:

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place. Inside and out.

Use a bright flashlight to look for signs of damage.

I have checked almost everything you are asking except in the reliability history, i am in IT for 30+ years so i have definitely tried just about everything. The PSU was brand new i built the entire computer it has been doing this since the beginning just more often now since software reinstall. and like i said i can play games for hours and i am part of a bunch of podcasts so i am on them for hours at a time without any problems, but if i click lets say chrome, it will blink black for a second then come back, also in photoshop if i put my mouse on any of the menu options on the left side and keep it there for a few seconds it will blank out for a second, but only when i am on the left menu, this is why i am so confused... I aliso have a very open clear glass case there is no dust in anything. It is almost always on the main monitor only i have seen it once or twice do it to the other monitors. The PSU is a SeaSonic 1300W 80 Plus Platinum purchased new in mid 2020

I just checked Reliability History and Event Viewer and there was nothing

Ralston18

Titan
Check Update History: any problem or failed updates?

Run Windows' built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Run "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to find and fix corrupted or buggy software.

= = = =

The next round of troubleshooting is a bit more involved.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Open the tool window and let the system stabilize. Drag the window to one side to where you can continue to observe what is happening.

Then when all is again stable, click chrome and look for what changes.

Specifically what resources are being used, to what extent ( % ), and what is using any given resource.

Do the same process with Photoshop and the mouse.

Along with any other end user actions that cause the blackouts.

It may take some time and effort to work out the methodology to spot what changes when blackouts occur.

The objective being for you to find some constant way to "cause" the blackouts and see some corresponding change in the tool window.