[SOLVED] Display going off for 2-3 seconds?

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Hey guys. I am facing an issue related to display when I play games. I am using ryzen 5 3600 with rx 580. So the thing is, I usually play games for around 4-5 hrs a day. In those 4-5 hrs, my monitor screen goes completely off for 5-6 times for around 2-3 seconds. I can hear the sound but the display just goes off, though the monitor remains on.

I was not able to find out the solution, so i thought if someone from this forum could help me. My monitor is acer gaming kg241qp. I tried replacing the hdmi cables too, but no help. I know that if the display goes off for around only 2-3 seconds, its not hampering my gaming experience that much but i believe that this issue should not happen at all if everything is working normally. Kindly guide me. Thank you.

Solution
Your monitor is 144Hz with freesync on, your GPU is trying to match that which might be pulling to much power from your PSU which is why i asked what you had.

The rx 580 recommends a 550w PSU which you might just be pushing to the limits when using freesync. With freesync off you're no long trying to push for 144hz which will draw less power.

bishopi5

Distinguished
Funny question but is ur phone anywhere near ur monitor when this is happening? My newer samsung turns my BENQ off randomly if its close, hard to find any reasoning behined it on google, figured worth a shot might be same thing happening to you

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Funny question but is ur phone anywhere near ur monitor when this is happening? My newer samsung turns my BENQ off randomly if its close, hard to find any reasoning behined it on google, figured worth a shot might be same thing happening to you
Yes i am also unable to find any solution or an issue like this on google. My mobile phone always remains 6-10 ft away from the monitor.

bishopi5

Distinguished
6-10ft is really far, it only happens to me if the phone is close to it, like in the desk next to it. It deffintely sounds like a dud monitor, how old is it? Im guessing when your screen turns back on the game is fine? FPS wise? Pretty much rules out any GPU problems especially since you can hear it running fine aswel.

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
6-10ft is really far, it only happens to me if the phone is close to it, like in the desk next to it. It deffintely sounds like a dud monitor, how old is it? Im guessing when your screen turns back on the game is fine? FPS wise? Pretty much rules out any GPU problems especially since you can hear it running fine aswel.
Yes the game remains fine, the fps also remains the same. No problem at all in that. I have recently bought the monitor from amazon. It is only 17 days old.

bishopi5

Distinguished
Oh damn, its not uncommon for things that are new to be broken, take it from razer, there quality control is so bad that i swear 1 in every 5 products have to be sent back :p, Only thing you can really do to make sure if just to use the monitor on another PC or xbox or playstation or anything. See if it happens, if it dosen't we know its something to do with your PC and not the monitor

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Oh damn, its not uncommon for things that are new to be broken, take it from razer, there quality control is so bad that i swear 1 in every 5 products have to be sent back :p, Only thing you can really do to make sure if just to use the monitor on another PC or xbox or playstation or anything. See if it happens, if it dosen't we know its something to do with your PC and not the monitor
I tried 2-3 different monitor with my pc and they all are working fine. So I am certain that the problem is with the monitor. Could the speakers be the reason of this problem? My speakers are put very near to the monitor.

bishopi5

Distinguished
Speakers are known to have magnets but lucky thats very easy to test, just move them away see if the problem still occurs. Sounds like the monitor is dud mate, You have succesfully ruled out your GPU by using different monitors, you have ruled out your cable, There is not much left, literally could only try a new power cord...

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Speakers are known to have magnets but lucky thats very easy to test, just move them away see if the problem still occurs. Sounds like the monitor is dud mate, You have succesfully ruled out your GPU by using different monitors, you have ruled out your cable, There is not much left, literally could only try a new power cord...
It's going to sound a bit odd, but I just disabled freesync in monitor settings and it worked. Now the monitor is working perfectly fine. I do not know how did it work, but it just did.

What is and how old is your PSU?

I had a GTX 980 that would do that, be playing a game and the monitor would just shut off for a few seconds and then come back. Replaced it with a RTX 2080 ti but problem continued with the new card. Ended up replacing the PSU and the issue went away. My brother now has my old 980 and its working just fine.

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
What is and how old is your PSU?

I had a GTX 980 that would do that, be playing a game and the monitor would just shut off for a few seconds and then come back. Replaced it with a RTX 2080 ti but problem continued with the new card. Ended up replacing the PSU and the issue went away. My brother now has my old 980 and its working just fine.
My psu is corsair cv 550w. It is just 20 days old. 1 more issue I am facing is of cpu. I am using ryzen 5 3600. So whenever i set it on 3.6ghz or 4.2ghz and play games, its temperature reaches as high as 90-95c. But, whenever i use my pc in power saver mode (cpu on 2.2ghz) and play games, the cpu temps never reaches above 70c. So I was wondering, could that be also because of the psu? Or do i need to reapply the thermal paste and reinstall the fan or do i need to buy an aftermarket cooler? My fan is installed correctly and i have screwed it till the very end, so its not loose. So either it is because of the stock fan or the thermal paste that i need to reapply. Or is it because of my psu? Any thoughts?

bishopi5

Distinguished
It has nothing to do with any of that, running at 2.2ghz is literally nearly half the power, im suprised it only goes down to 70c, 90+C is normal for AMD, especially if you using a stock cooler, temps will not hurt the CPU, Grab a cheap cooler if you are worried, Glad you sorted the monitor ! You never mentioned it was freesync :p

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
It has nothing to do with any of that, running at 2.2ghz is literally nearly half the power, im suprised it only goes down to 70c, 90+C is normal for AMD, especially if you using a stock cooler, temps will not hurt the CPU, Grab a cheap cooler if you are worried, Glad you sorted the monitor ! You never mentioned it was freesync :p
Actually I also did not even imagine that freesync could have cause or it even can cause an issue something like that.

When i google your monitor it comes up with India on amazon, i would look into a better aftermarket cooler. For work i run a 3600x on the stock cooler and at 100% cpu load it only hits 75*c

Max temp on the 3600 is 95c so i would be a little concerned with running around 90-95c Something mid range for the 3600 would be a Arctic Freezer 34 or high end would be the noctua nh-d15. You can go AIO cooler but you do have to worry about pump failure and they normally on do as good a job as a good air cooler.

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Actually I also did not even imagine that it was freesync that was causing the issue. I was just trying different options and it just clicked that I tried disabling freesync. I am still confused how freesync enabled could have caused that problem. But as the monitor is working fine now, I won't enable freesync anytime soon.

Your monitor is 144Hz with freesync on, your GPU is trying to match that which might be pulling to much power from your PSU which is why i asked what you had.

The rx 580 recommends a 550w PSU which you might just be pushing to the limits when using freesync. With freesync off you're no long trying to push for 144hz which will draw less power.

Solution

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020

Okay. I wasn't aware about this reason. Thanks for clarifying. That solves my confusion.

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Hey guys. I am using rx580 with acer k241 series 144hz freesync monitor. The other day while gaming, with freesync on, I was facing some issues in display as it was going on and off for 2-3 seconds. On an average this happens 4-5 times in 3-4 hrs of gaming every day. So i decided to turn the freesync off and started playing. To my surprise, I did not face any issue at all after that. The display, not even for once, went off. So I am using my monitor with freesync off for a week now without any issues but I am wondering why the display was turning on and off automaticaly with freesync on. As the monitor has freesync feature available, I would want to utilize it if the reason of the issue gets detected. Any suggestions from your end would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.