Question Display is on but just a blank screen with ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO ?

tvinthepizza

Commendable
Apr 25, 2018
I apologize in advance for the length, I've tried to provide as much info as possible.

Hello, I recently bought a used GTX 1080. Seller had great ratings, communicative and answered all my questions. Cool, I get the GPU in the mail a few days later and proceed to upgrade cases before installing the gpu on my pre-existing build.

Well, it doesn't display anything. Now, the monitor is detecting SOMETHING because it stays on....it's just on some blank lit screen. Everything is lit up, whirring and glowing.

SPECS:
8GB
ASUS ROG STRIX B350-5 MOBO
16 GB CORSAIR RAM
RYZEN 5 2600
CORSAIR CX650M 650 W 80+ Bronze PSU*
1TB HDD(Windows 10 Pro, previously used)
1TB SSD (new, no OS)

Things I've tried:
-Resetting CMOS
-Updated BIOS
-Taking build out of case and rebuilding
-Switching monitors (one of them even displayed a GREEN screen?!?)
-Using older GPU (talkin' about a GT 8800 lol)
-Reseating GPU
-Trying all PCIE slots
-Using DDU to remove old drivers and installing appropriate ones
-Booting with only one RAM stick
-Changing from a 3 year old 500w cheap PSU to a new 650w okay PSU
-Using different ports (HDMI, DP, DVI)
-Booting without any storage devices plugged in

There are some important things to note, at least I think.
I've provided a video to show what exactly it's doing( View: https://i.imgur.com/xw7AR0r.mp4
)
mobo manual says white-VGA, orange-DRAM, red-CPU. I noticed it stays on white for a while before....fixing itself???

For some reason, my HP 25f monitor is saying my resolution is at 640x480, with both the GTX 1080 and old GPU. Says this on other monitors as well. I've always used 1080p. Won't let me change it. I also noticed while I was in my device manager (while using older GPU) that it's identifying as a non-pnp monitor when it has always been a pnp monitor prior to upgrading.

Prior to upgrading, I did have one issue where if I put the PC to sleep, it'd give me a BSOD upon waking it up, then restart. Unfortunately I don't have the crash logs.

The old GPU works just fine, minus the **** res and weird squiggly green lines across the screen (i didn't download the drivers for it so that may be why?).

What I have not tried is using the GPU in another board, as I don't have any others. The seller sent pictures of it working, though. Said he used it with a 1000w PSU with its Displayports.

There you have it. Am I screwed out of a gpu?

EDIT **** bad langauge removed by moderator

Last edited: