[SOLVED] not sure if it goes here or in Graphics because it could be either, but my display isnt working anymore

May 24, 2020
Computer is running Windows 10.

I can rarely access the actual display for like 5 seconds at a time when it randomly decides to actually display, but I can't trigger this to happen.

Monitor: Asus VP247
CPU: i5-7500
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6 GB

My monitor either says couldn't detect HDMI signal, or it'll display one of many solid colors where the entire screen is just a random color (but the monitor settings buttons/overlays still display fine)

I've tried a different HDMI cable, same errors occur. Also tried using the HDMI cable with my PS4 on my TV, and it works fine, so I don't think the cable is the issue.

I've tried unplugging and waiting a minute and replugging both the monitor and the computer, no changes. Upon reboot, the monitor displays the Asus Logo just fine (usually. There have been 2 reboots where it became a giant pixel filled barf of colors and corruption, but that isn't the normal behavior)

More often that not, it just says failed to detect HDMI signal, but there's literally no consistency to the behavior, it just most commonly says failed to detect, but then a random reboot will give me a random color, other times a random reboot will let me see the windows screen but then display a random color shortly after. It's so inconsistent and bizarre.

I unfortunately don't have a second monitor to test and see if the monitor is at fault, and I can't plug in my computer near my TV due to space and outlet issues.

Also, when I plug my PS4 into the monitor, it works just fine regardless of what cord I use. So it's probably an issue with the pc itself since the monitor works with the PS4.

The issue started like an hour and a half ago when I was playing Terraria and my screen randomly turned into nothing but a solid green with no text or responsiveness or anything.

Solution
In your other boot attempts, did you hear the normal Windows startup sound? if not then youmay have PC issues and not GPU

If Windows sounds worked then:
Power off, remove the GPU, and reset the bios via the jumper while your in there.
Connect hdmi cable to motherbd port and boot up.

launch device manager and show hidden/disbaled devices. Delete the old GPU and answer yes if it asks about remove the software for it.

Shutdown, unplug, reinstall GPU, leave cable connected to motherbd. boot up into the bios.
If you have the option to run both the Ingetrated GPU along with the add-in then enable that. Save, exit and then power off.
Connect HDMI cable to GPU and boot up.

Good luck! Unfortunaely, I'm off for the night. I hope to see...
May 24, 2020
It's looking like its the GP.

Can you connect to the motherboad ports? If you don't get a signal it may be disabled due to the GPU. You may be able to enter the set the default gpu to integrated.
How would I go about doing that? Especially since I can rarely even get a signal recognized and the motherboard drive is disabled by default i think since it just says no signal detected with every reboot I try, and the GPU port gives the same issue with the occasional solid color screen, so I don't see a way to change those settings

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
In your other boot attempts, did you hear the normal Windows startup sound? if not then youmay have PC issues and not GPU

If Windows sounds worked then:
Power off, remove the GPU, and reset the bios via the jumper while your in there.
Connect hdmi cable to motherbd port and boot up.

launch device manager and show hidden/disbaled devices. Delete the old GPU and answer yes if it asks about remove the software for it.

Shutdown, unplug, reinstall GPU, leave cable connected to motherbd. boot up into the bios.
If you have the option to run both the Ingetrated GPU along with the add-in then enable that. Save, exit and then power off.
Connect HDMI cable to GPU and boot up.

Good luck! Unfortunaely, I'm off for the night. I hope to see good news tomorrow.

Solution
May 24, 2020
It's looking like its the GP.

Can you connect to the motherboad ports? If you don't get a signal it may be disabled due to the GPU. You may be able to enter the set the default gpu to integrated.
Also if it helps at all I took a few pictures and recorded some videos of sample start ups
I'll try what you said tomorrow probably, but I'd like to hear if those videos/photos help diagnose the issue at all first before I go uninstalling components and all that.
View: https://imgur.com/a/3elha5P

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS