Display issue (Resolution seems wrong, black bar on right side of monitor)

Alkeo

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
Hello everyone,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L500 laptop with Windows 7 and I've never experienced any display issue until a couple of months ago when Windows installed updates. Ever since that update was installed (I highly suspect it is KB2952664 as uninstalling it fixed the problem for a while... More on that later) my display looks like this:
display.jpg

Notice that part of the display is "hidden under the monitor" (so to speak) and that there is a black bar on the right side. I've tried updating the Intel HD Graphics driver. I've messed with the display settings within Windows. There is no way to "physically" adjust the display on my laptop (with buttons, like a normal monitor), so I cannot run any "auto-adjust" setting or re-center the display manually.

The only thing that has worked to fix this is uninstalling update KB2952664. I don't know why, but uninstalling the update solves the issue. The problem is, the update keeps reinstalling itself, even if I try to hide it. I'll try one more time to uninstall and hide it and I'll keep you updated on the problem.... In the meantime, I'd really appreciate any suggestions you might have as to what could be causing this problem and possible ways to fix them. Any suggestion is appreciated, as extensive yet fruitless search on the internet leads me to believe this is a very uncommon problem!

Thanks!

Alkeo

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016

After checking the settings, the resolutions Windows is suggesting are indeed the wrong ones. But even when I go in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and add 1366x768 as a custom resolution, the program says "You have entered an invalid value. Refer to the manufacturer's manual to determine the supported values for this display device."

It's as if some parameter somewhere in Windows that says what the screen resolution of my display is has been modified.