[SOLVED] display Issue RX580 with motherboard B450f

Pijamo_1

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Hi there,

I'm really hoping someone can help me out since it's driving me nuts

I have a custom PC which I built 2 years back.

Around 8 months back I started having issues with my GPU and my display

I thought that the issue was with my GPU so I sent it back for warranty and had it replaced.

It came back and I tried again but it has the same issue so I thought that maybe it was a rare occurrence or a coincidence that the replaced GPU had the same issue so I sent it back (a replacement takes a month so this took 2 months)

After another came back that had the same issues, I thought that the issue would be with my MOBO so I took it to a shop

The shop was really confused as well and it ended up horribly (they fried my MOBO, Hard disk and PSU. Dont ask).

The shop did replace the parts so the MOBO and the PSU are new.

Anyway, I brought it back and it has the same issue.

I finally used DDU to remove any drivers and reinstalled it while keeping windows update on pause (as suggested by a YouTuber) and it finally worked for some time.

I went back to my hometown for some time and came back after a period of about 2 months to find that it had the same issue and now the DDU route doesn't seem to work.

Anyway here is the current status.

The display works well when I connect it to my CPU (onboard display). It works well even on my dual display setup

I sent the GPU back for warranty again (The warranty was almost up and the GPU had a small issue with the fans). After getting it back I asked a friend to check it who said there is no problem with the GPU).

now on my PC, after wiping and reinstalling the driver with GPU connected, I get to the windows screen but the screen freezes after about 5 minutes.

I tried a different GPU and the result was the same.

I tried updating the MOBO bios, using old GPU drivers, latest GPU drivers.

Anyway here are my PC specs:

Motherboard:
GPU: ASUS RX 580
RAM: Vengence RGB 16 GB Ram
CPU: Ryzen 2400G
PSU: Thermaltake 550W
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this before I go nuts. I think the issue might be from the MOBO setting?? Im not sure though

Pijamo_1

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Ok, so my issue is solved. Just wanted to share my experience just in case someone faces a similar issue

I tried narrowing down my issues from general to specific. I went through the hoops of checking my memory sticks, checking both monitors 1 by 1, removing drivers, installing different versions of drivers, tried a higher PSU wattage, different CPU, different board, etc... I finally narrowed it down to the problem of just being in my GPU.

Now, I had to find out the gpus behavior, and that wasn't actually easy (a lot of driver installations, uninstallations, installation, and uninstallation of the actual card). Anyway, the card runs without the driver (abeit cant use it for anything that way) but starts crashing when I install the driver. I realised that the shops might be running the gpu without the driver and misdiagnosing the card to be "OK" then I installed gpu-z to check more details. showed that my memory type is hynix, seems standard but i decided to flash the bios since i was really stumped. Anyway I downloaded the rom for hynix and flashed it, lo and behold........ ..... ... The issue remained -_- .... so I was again confused, I flashed using another rom (same memory) thinking maybe the 1 i used was corrupted so something but it was the same. I was stumped, since I tried everything and I mean EVERYTHING.... after much contemplation, I said to hell (since it went out of warranty about 2 weeks ago, plus RMA doesnt really help) and removed the cooler AND (my only suspicion was actually correct) the memory type was Samsung NOT Hynix.... I excitedly rebuilt the card, flashed it to a Samsung bios and it works well now.

I suspect that when my first card went out and I sent it back for RMA they sent back a card with a wrong bios flashed (maybe someone was using a modded mining bios and flashed a bios when returning).

The journey was terrible and long but i think I finally sorted it out.

Hi there,

I'm really hoping someone can help me out since it's driving me nuts

I have a custom PC which I built 2 years back.

Around 8 months back I started having issues with my GPU and my display

I thought that the issue was with my GPU so I sent it back for warranty and had it replaced.

It came back and I tried again but it has the same issue so I thought that maybe it was a rare occurrence or a coincidence that the replaced GPU had the same issue so I sent it back (a replacement takes a month so this took 2 months)

After another came back that had the same issues, I thought that the issue would be with my MOBO so I took it to a shop

The shop was really confused as well and it ended up horribly (they fried my MOBO, Hard disk and PSU. Dont ask).

The shop did replace the parts so the MOBO and the PSU are new.

Anyway, I brought it back and it has the same issue.

I finally used DDU to remove any drivers and reinstalled it while keeping windows update on pause (as suggested by a YouTuber) and it finally worked for some time.

I went back to my hometown for some time and came back after a period of about 2 months to find that it had the same issue and now the DDU route doesn't seem to work.

Anyway here is the current status.

The display works well when I connect it to my CPU (onboard display). It works well even on my dual display setup

I sent the GPU back for warranty again (The warranty was almost up and the GPU had a small issue with the fans). After getting it back I asked a friend to check it who said there is no problem with the GPU).

now on my PC, after wiping and reinstalling the driver with GPU connected, I get to the windows screen but the screen freezes after about 5 minutes.

I tried a different GPU and the result was the same.

I tried updating the MOBO bios, using old GPU drivers, latest GPU drivers.

Anyway here are my PC specs:

Motherboard:
GPU: ASUS RX 580
RAM: Vengence RGB 16 GB Ram
CPU: Ryzen 2400G
PSU: Thermaltake 550W
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this before I go nuts. I think the issue might be from the MOBO setting?? Im not sure though
The shop may hace also damaged the rest of the system... Wont lie i would have forced them to replace the whole system after that much damage.

Pijamo_1

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
The shop may have also damaged the rest of the system... Won't lie I would have forced them to replace the whole system after that much damage.
They replaced the mobo, harddisk, and PSU I'm not sure what else would have been damaged.

The CPU seems to work fine as too the RAM, been doing work-intensive things (illustrator, photoshop) and gaming (wow, league) using the igpu.

They replaced the mobo, harddisk, and PSU I'm not sure what else would have been damaged.

The CPU seems to work fine as too the RAM, been doing work-intensive things (illustrator, photoshop) and gaming (wow, league) using the igpu.
As much as yes the CPU and other things may not show signs of damage dosn't mean they're life values have been shortened dramastically

Pijamo_1

Reputable
Oct 25, 2016
Ok, so my issue is solved. Just wanted to share my experience just in case someone faces a similar issue

I tried narrowing down my issues from general to specific. I went through the hoops of checking my memory sticks, checking both monitors 1 by 1, removing drivers, installing different versions of drivers, tried a higher PSU wattage, different CPU, different board, etc... I finally narrowed it down to the problem of just being in my GPU.

Now, I had to find out the gpus behavior, and that wasn't actually easy (a lot of driver installations, uninstallations, installation, and uninstallation of the actual card). Anyway, the card runs without the driver (abeit cant use it for anything that way) but starts crashing when I install the driver. I realised that the shops might be running the gpu without the driver and misdiagnosing the card to be "OK" then I installed gpu-z to check more details. showed that my memory type is hynix, seems standard but i decided to flash the bios since i was really stumped. Anyway I downloaded the rom for hynix and flashed it, lo and behold........ ..... ... The issue remained -_- .... so I was again confused, I flashed using another rom (same memory) thinking maybe the 1 i used was corrupted so something but it was the same. I was stumped, since I tried everything and I mean EVERYTHING.... after much contemplation, I said to hell (since it went out of warranty about 2 weeks ago, plus RMA doesnt really help) and removed the cooler AND (my only suspicion was actually correct) the memory type was Samsung NOT Hynix.... I excitedly rebuilt the card, flashed it to a Samsung bios and it works well now.

I suspect that when my first card went out and I sent it back for RMA they sent back a card with a wrong bios flashed (maybe someone was using a modded mining bios and flashed a bios when returning).

The journey was terrible and long but i think I finally sorted it out.

ASK THE COMMUNITY