Question Display Issues -> Coil Whine?

Feb 24, 2020
I bought a Power Color Red Dragon Vega 56 about eight months ago and it was working great on my 1440p 165Hz display up until about last week. The screen is fine while I work on regular projects or typing up papers, however, the moment I open something up that is graphic intensive or requires a minimal amount of effort from the computer, the screen goes out of wack and becomes full of static. Moreover, the GPU begins to make a high pitch electrical buzz from the GPU/Motherboard Connection Area. While this sound goes on, my display will begin to flicker and for some games, the screen will freeze, even though in the background audio, I can hear my character moving/game music in general. If the screen itself does not freeze, the screen will begin to flicker with color distortions and static blotches appearing across it. I have already tried reinstalling my drivers, clearing the registry and factory resetting my PC, checking connections to PSU, removing dust, etc. From what I can see, I'm pretty sure the card has gone bad, but I don't want to rush to any conclusions. The PSU I currently use is a 550W from EVGA. I have 16 GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengence RGB Pro, Ryzen 1700X, and ASRock Taichi x470 motherboard. If anyone could help me with this issue, that would be amazing.

Ralston18

Titan
This: "The PSU I currently use is a 550W from EVGA".

650 Watt PSU is recommended:

https://www.newegg.ca/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-56-axrx-vega-56-8gbhbm2-2d2hd-oc/p/N82E16814131740

Add up the wattage requirements for all installed system components. If a wattage range is provided use the high end wattage.

After the wattages are totaled and 25% more. How close is that final total to 550?

There are also online calculators to help do similar calculations. Try two or three to get a consensus wattage value.

Not ready to designate the GPU as "bad" per se but the PSU needs to be considered as a more likely (I believe) culprit.

Feb 24, 2020
HI,

Thank you for getting back to me so fast. According to PCPartPicker, the build itself should only require 404 Watts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YJjR29

I went ahead and replaced the 550 W PSU with a 750 one, however, the issue is still occuring with the screen becoming staticky whenever I open any graphic intensive application. Attached below is a benchmark as well as image that shows what goes on. The buzzing sound seems to have disappeared.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/24950536

20200223_151939.jpg

Ralston18

Titan
Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (just one at a time) to monitor system performance.

Compare the %'s etc. between non-intensive and intensive graphics applications.

Look for some bottleneck.

Have you tried another known working video cable between GPU and monitor?

Do you have another known working monitor to test? Or can you test your monitor on another known working computer? Determine if the problem stays with the current host computer/GPU or follows the monitor.

Key is to narrow down the culprit by substitution and elimination.

Just take your time, change only one thing at a time, and be methodical.

Reactions: TSLee1171
Feb 24, 2020
Hi,

I looked at the percentages and saw, at least from what I know, there could be some bottlenecking occurring. Not exactly sure though as I am not that big of a computer guy.

Az16d07KR9rA_0bQEdvvGl6LgNZcWHsO_-YthNcp8P0kTEDQDQl9skPxKjcYTkER8vpfvqdewUd9JV_gb_JpfMEDXIH8O3qAwjaW.png

I did try an HDMI cable instead of using the mini display port, and the issue is still persisting. I haven't tried connecting the monitor to a different PC yet as I don't have one. I would have to find a friend who does, but based on the graphs, is it the GPU?

Ralston18

Titan
In Task Manager click the GPU column header to sort the data. (Works for other columns as well.)

What you are looking for is some app, process, service that either launches with gaming or suddenly takes up more GPU when the game is being played.

When you discover that you can replicate the problem at will by launching a particular game or maybe by taking some specific game play action then you know you are on the right path to pinning down the source problem.

Overall, the process is comprehensive. Look at everything being launched via Task Manager > Startup.

There could be some things launching the you do not need or even want. Just know what they are before disabling them from startup.

Work progressively: leave the monitoring window open and just let the system idle for awhile. Then do light work or browsing. Then move to games that demand even more from the host system.

After looking at the benchmarks again, the thought occurred to me that the problem could be heat related. Okay initially but once some effort is needed from the GPU it gets hot and some component therein falters.

Does the screen static start immediately with an intensive game or is there some time lapse between game launch and the loss of display? Does having the case open make any difference?

Feb 24, 2020
I looked at the Task Manager and it doesn't show any processes aside from the game itself, Desktop window manager, System, Client Server Runtime, and Steam Web Helper, all of which remain at or below 5% GPU use. There does not seem to be any apps or other games that launch when the game is opened. Discord, Realtek Audio, Logitech Gaming Framework, Steam, Spotify, and Windows Defender are the only start-up apps, all of which I use.

Light work and browsing is fine for the majority of the time. Sometimes, and this happens rarely, a block of color distortion/static will appear on the home screen but it goes away after a few seconds. The real issue only occurs whenever I try to open a game. I have tried opening CSGO and Warframe. Both games will freeze upon me getting past the loading screen.

The screen is fine when the game is loading with a black screen or motionless picture, however, once the game finishes loading, for CSGO, the application itself just freezes and the only way to exit is to tab out and close the whole game. Warframe, as the picture I sent earlier showed, will have color distortions and static almost immediately, followed by the game crashing. There may be some time lapse in the moments during which the game is loading but I am not sure if that is actually significant.

I have had both the front and back panel off the case for the past day and it does not seem as though this helps in any way. I also have 5 fans in my case so I don't think that overheating would be a problem, but again, I am not that big of a PC person so I wouldn't know.

Attached below is some footage of the buzzing sound that occurs whenever a graphic intensive game is opened. It only occurs when a game is open as when I tab out of a game, the noise stops, just as the video will show. It had gone away for a bit after I replaced the PSU, but it has returned.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ma37knFPxe5nDkNr5

Also, was the system not bottlenecking? Was I mistaken?

TRENDING THREADS