Display keeps going black

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Happened three times today. Twice while playing a game and once while watching a video. Display went completely black but the computer still continued to run until I restart it.

I already dusted it reseated the video card but no dice. The temps were also normal and the fans were fine.

Could this be windows 10 related and if not, how can I find the root of the problem?

Solution

Hello again

You may need to press the Fn key to make them function. In some keyboards, pressing the Fn key is not needed. You can know this by checking if the symbols are printed in superscript or subscript. If they are, Fn must be pressed.

Cheers!! :)

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Hello,

I just did a total driver uninstall and reinstall so if it crashes again I'll take out the hdmi and see how it goes.
How do I change my volume using media keys? I've only ever change volume with my speakers.

Thank you for the help

Hello again refmon

If you have a multimedia keyboard (in case of desktop computer), and its driver is installed, you can press the keys on it to increase or decrease the volume. The volume up and volume down symbols are printed on the corresponding keys.

In case of laptop, generally the Fn key is pressed along with the volume up or volume down keys. Most of the times, it is the function keys on the keyboard that allow you adjust the volume level, and even in this case, the symbols are printed on the corresponding keys.

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Yeah my keyboard has the symbols for mute increase and decrease volume on F1 F2 and F3 but they don't seem to actually do anything.

Like in the thread, I think it has something to do with windows 10 and HDMI since I only downloaded windows 10 a month ago.

Hello again

You may need to press the Fn key to make them function. In some keyboards, pressing the Fn key is not needed. You can know this by checking if the symbols are printed in superscript or subscript. If they are, Fn must be pressed.

Solution

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Hey, came to update and help anyone else with this problem.

Fully uninstalling and reinstalling the nvidia drivers solved the black outs.

Appreciate your help, I didn't even realize I had an fn key.

refmon

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012

Nevermind, just crashed again.

Guess I'll try memtest