[SOLVED] Display kicking off after boot but will stay on if doing nothing

Mar 9, 2021
New build, installed Ubuntu 20.04 and 18.xx (not sure the rest but a moot point). I've tried their open source drivers and Nvidia proprietary tested drivers with the same results. Can't get Windows 10 installed before No Signal kicks in. Happens in VGA or HDMI
I can sit in BIOS forever or on my desktop (36+ hours tested at this point) but when I try to watch a video, Netflix, YouTube ect. the longest I've gotten is 30 minutes and I get No signal. I've run Ubuntu in "live" and had the issue happen there as well.

I've reseated the video card, ram, cords. Exchanged the video card. Please give me an idea I haven't tried yet. Or help me get Windows installed so that will work. Motherboard does NOT have an on board graphics card so thats not an option (but I have tried it for laughs and giggles, just in case, cause it does have an hdmi port).

Also tried "switch screens" function on the keyboard but does not make a difference. Mouse is using the ps2 port. Obviously moving the mouse or tapping keys doesn't "wake it up"

Specs:
MOTHERBOARD:
AMD MSI B550M Pro-VDH WIFI
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM:
FlareX DDR4-2400 8GB x 2
GRAPHICS CARD:
MSI NVidia GEForce GT 710 2 GB DDR3 (with fan on the heat sync)
POWER SUPPLY:
Be Quiet 500W

Thanks

Solution
Resolved??? I'll change when I can do more testing.

Shut down the pc, unplugged and switched off the power supply.

Removed the CMOS battery. Reseated RAM, motherboard power cord (couldn't get CPU power cable off) case fan, CPU fan.

Unscrewed but did not take off heatsync, rescrewed it back on (lots of fun as the screws are slightly off from the motherboard placement, thanks AMD for working together)

Put CMOS back in. Rebooted PC, reset up BIOS. Booted into Ubuntu 18.xx

Finished watching movie previously testing on (20ish minutes) no issues. Ran second movie 2 ish hours no issues. Yeaaaa?!?!?!?

I was running with the side open and only my main hard drive. So now setting up to regular set up and doing standard system running again...
Mar 9, 2021
No the pc does not shut down sorry I forgot to mention that critical piece of info. I have to do a hard shut down on the pc everytime.

The monitors I've been using (only access) are a TV (hdmi) and an old monitor I pulled from my working other pc (vga) that is using an on board gpu

I have tried multiple hdmi cables as well. It will allow me to use both screens (via and hdmi) at the same time as an extended?? Screen? Never bothered with that before so wasn't something I'm familiar with but it functions. Again something I tried as laughs and giggles. Tested watching a video with both screens plugged in and both screens kicked out at the same time.

That was before I replaced the videocard but I doubt I'd experience a different result now.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021
Just tested it again in case its an overheating issue. Kicked out into No signal and I went straight into BIOS. I can't add a photo cause I'm not sure how ot where to add a link from but CPU core temp was dropping rapidly from 41⁰ from when I started seeing it, and its settled at 34⁰. Motherboard is at 32⁰.

Took about 8-10 minutes from turning on the video to "no signal" but the pc had been on and running for several hours and the screen on with "screensaver" turned off (sorry my brain is a little tired so I'm not finding the right words, I've been trying to figure this out for a week soild already between working full time and 3 kids lol)

I don't know honestly if I'm dealing with software (drivers), hardware (doubtful graphics card, motherboard??? Is it even possible cpu??? Pc wouldn't boot then would it?)

Mar 9, 2021
Resolved??? I'll change when I can do more testing.

Shut down the pc, unplugged and switched off the power supply.

Removed the CMOS battery. Reseated RAM, motherboard power cord (couldn't get CPU power cable off) case fan, CPU fan.

Unscrewed but did not take off heatsync, rescrewed it back on (lots of fun as the screws are slightly off from the motherboard placement, thanks AMD for working together)

Put CMOS back in. Rebooted PC, reset up BIOS. Booted into Ubuntu 18.xx

Finished watching movie previously testing on (20ish minutes) no issues. Ran second movie 2 ish hours no issues. Yeaaaa?!?!?!?

I was running with the side open and only my main hard drive. So now setting up to regular set up and doing standard system running again.

No idea what has changed or fixed it

Solution