Question Display (mostly) not working

Jul 12, 2019
Hi,

I haven't posted here before so wasn't sure which forum this belonged in, hopefully I chose right.

My computer has suddenly stopped being able to reliably work with my display. The weird thing is every few seconds it will work for a moment, sometimes a couple of seconds, sometimes barely the blink of an eye, but then it goes to a black screen. My monitor believes it's getting some kind of signal as it isn't trying to turn itself off/ throwing up the usual messages it does. Also it worked fine during start up and for the login screen but then after logging in stops working. What this does mean is I know it's starting up and running just fine and it's just a display issue but I'm not sure what the cause is. I am able to get it to stay up mostly reliably by running the hdmi to my TV instead but I have no idea why.

I've tried the following:
  • using a different hdmi cable which definitely works (made no difference)
  • using a different display - as mentioned above connecting to my TV seems to work fine, my monitor is 1440p vs a 1080p TV so I guess that could be a factor?
  • running a different signal to my monitor to check that's working - multiple consoles output to it just fine so the issue isn't there
  • taking the gpu apart to check for damage/ dust and reapplying thermal paste
  • putting a whole new PSU in (a much better model which I bought for when I finally do a new build) - no change to the display
My specs (yes I know they're bananas, it's an ex-industrial unit I picked up cheap years ago):

i7-970
Palit GTX 770
24gb RAM @1866MHz
1 tb HDD
Dell U2515h monitor

If anyone can shed any light on what's going on and, even better, how I can fix it that would be super helpful. My best guess is the gpu is at fault but for it to go from perfectly fine to... this literally overnight while not being used makes no sense.

Jul 12, 2019
Bump

Could really use some help on this. I don't want to rush into buying a new GPU if that's not the issue or it's fixable and I can't find anything about people having similar issues elsewhere.