Question display not working after installing new ram

Lordniti2

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
Howdy all,

Got a bit of an issue on my hands, currently my PC has x2 4gb rams (HyperX FURY Blue 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 memory module) the motherboard is a MSI 970 Gaming AMD AM3 GBE LAN ATX now I recently bought 2 Timetec Hynix IC DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz Non ECC Unbuffered 1.35V/1.5V Dual Rank 240 Pin UDIMM.

I put the new ram into my PC and made sure it was all secure the PC turns on fine and the fans are working but the monitor does not work.

where have I gone wrong?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Mixing RAM modules is not guaranteed to work. This is why manufacturers sell RAM in packs. Because technically, the packs are the only ones guaranteed to work together. It's why it is never recommended to mix RAM modules.

The fact that they might be the same size / make / model is irrelevant.

Obviously I'm assuming that you've also plugged the RAM into the slots as per the motherboard manual? You can try each stick individually, and each slot on the motherboard to confirm if there is a physical hardware problem. Equally you can reset the BIOS / clear CMOS.

Lordniti2

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
Mixing RAM modules is not guaranteed to work. This is why manufacturers sell RAM in packs. Because technically, the packs are the only ones guaranteed to work together. It's why it is never recommended to mix RAM modules.

The fact that they might be the same size / make / model is irrelevant.

Obviously I'm assuming that you've also plugged the RAM into the slots as per the motherboard manual? You can try each stick individually, and each slot on the motherboard to confirm if there is a physical hardware problem. Equally you can reset the BIOS / clear CMOS.
I followed a guide for my motherboard to insert the ram, how would I go about resetting the CMOS on my motherboard

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You will also find this in your motherboard manual. You'll either remove the CMOS for a few minutes and then reinsert. Or use a jumper as per your motherboard manual if it has one.
But again - Mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed to work. Then once again you can return to trying each individual stick in each slot to eliminate defective hardware problems.

Lordniti2

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
Howdy all!

Update:

I have sucessfuly sorted my PC, I did some more fiddling around with all four of my ram and now my PC display is working and I can confirm I now have 24gb ram, although my fan appears to be slightly more noisy now, though that shouldn't be anything to worry about as my PC is still quite cool and the temperatures are keeping moderately low as well.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Howdy all!

Update:

I have sucessfuly sorted my PC, I did some more fiddling around with all four of my ram and now my PC display is working and I can confirm I now have 24gb ram, although my fan appears to be slightly more noisy now, though that shouldn't be anything to worry about as my PC is still quite cool and the temperatures are keeping moderately low as well.
Can you please confirm what it is you did for other users.

TRENDING THREADS