Question Display not working with new build

Oct 5, 2022
Not sure if this is the place for this but running out of hope. Recently got some new parts for my computer since it has been 8 years since my last and first build. Put everything together today and I get nothing on my display. I’m not sure what the issue is, but all my trial and error leads me right back to the start. So to start my specs are:
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600
GPU: Radeon RX 6500 XT
RAM: T-Force Zeus DDR4 32 GB Kit 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair CX 600

Everything Seemed to turn on and run when I started my pc after hooking everything up. All my fans are going. Lights on the motherboard are going. It does have an ez troubleshoot lighting system on it. Which none of the lights except the boot light come on, unless I stick in a usb with windows then they are all off. The graphics card is a little large and it does rest on part of the motherboard, but it does latch into the slot. The first thing I notice is the fans on the gpu only spin for a few seconds then stop. One thing I failed to realize is this gpa doesn’t have a dvi port, so I tried connecting the HDMI to a tv, nothing. So I tried connecting the dvi to the onboard gpu, also nothing. The light on my monitor does turn blue for a second as if it does sense the connection but then goes back to rest mode after saying no connection. I then pulled out my old gpu which is a Radeon R9 280. I connect it and the fans all start up on it, but the troubleshooting light for the gpa comes on and again I get no display. I tried updating the Bios using the flash button on the back. As far as I can tell it worked, but I’m not sure. But nothing changed, still no display. Also done some other troubleshooting to see if it would help, like making sure the RAM were in their proper slots. Making sure the monitor was properly connected, etc, etc.I tried using a single stick of ram, switching it out, Nothing. At this point I’m frustrated and all out of ideas. I don’t know if I’m screwed or what.
One edit: I realized that my cpu does not have integrated graphics so my attempts at troubleshooting through my motherboard were pointless. My only choice at this point is to use my tv as my monitor only has dvi

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? If it's brand new, return it immediately and pick up a reliably built 550W~650W unit for your entire build.
It’s actually the PSU I got 8 years ago. Another thing I failed to mention which I guess I should have is that about 5 years ago I storm hit my computer,

Oct 5, 2022
Actually it’s 8 years old. Another thing I failed to mention is about 6 years ago my computer got hit my a lightning storm. I heard a loud pop. I tried to ride it out. A main reason I was upgrading was because my motherboard was dying… I guess I never thought the power supply would also be a factor but thinking about it I guess it is stupid not to think that.. any suggestion on a decent budget psu?

Oct 5, 2022
What's the link to your favo webshop?
What's the budget?
Honestly I usually just go with Newegg or Amazon just. Whatever had the better deals. Don’t really have any local pc stores in this part of the country. Best I have is a Best Buy but If they have anything decent I’d go pick something up if I could get it quick. But apparently I don’t know what a good power supply is, lol.

Oct 5, 2022
Outdated internal design, low quality, old and not reliable anymore.
Still no luck. I went out and bought a Corsair RM750. Everything comes on and powers up but still no display. Connect the hdmi through the graphics card on graphics card, nothing, remove the graphics card and plug in the dvi from my monitor to the on board graphics card, nothing.

Oct 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? If it's brand new, return it immediately and pick up a reliably built 550W~650W unit for your entire build.
Updated to a Corsair RM750. Problem still persists. Fan doesn’t spin on the gpu, no display when plugging in the hdmi, no display when I plug in the dvi to the on board graphics.

Oct 5, 2022
Could be the BIOS of the motherboard that needs an update. There's a flash button on the back I/O.
Nevermind, it work! I’m not 100% sure what it was. Perhaps it was the psu. But as I edited my main post I didn’t realize that testing on my monitor was pointless. I was unaware my cpu didn’t have integrated graphics. So I tried on my tv again so I could plug into my graphics card and boom! Display. Installing windows now.