Display on iPhone screen is "mirroring" top & bottom

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
My wife noticed a weird issue on her iPhone 6 screen the other day. The bottom of the screen is 'mirroring' half of the top portion (the part where it shows your carrier, signal strength, & battery life) at the very bottom of the screen. The 'mirrored' portion also has ~5 horizontal grey/white lines running through it.

The lines show up on the Home screen, & if an app shows the carrier/battery portions at the top the mirrored bottom part also shows up (although it goes away on the app splash screens).

She's already done a manual restart (hold down Home button, slide the X button across the screen), & I had her do a forced restart last night (hold down Home and Power buttons simultaneously), but it still hasn't fixed it. When I initially tried searching for this or similar problems, there was mention of a "Pixel Fix" web app on Apple's website (supposedly able to test for "dead" or "stuck" pixels on your screen), but I was unable to find it on the site.

Just as an aside, we replaced the screen on this phone, but that was done over 2 months ago (possibly 3 months) after she dropped it & cracked the outer screen, & the lines didn't show up until very recently (maybe the last week at most). Also, aside from her being extra careful, we made sure we bought OtterBox Defender cases for the phones for extra protection.

Is this some sort of software issue, a hardware problem caused by the screen repair, or some other hardware issue? If so, do we need to worry about replacing the phone? We weren't necessarily planning on new phones (other than this issue, our phones work fine, & I don't think the 6s or 7 really offer that much more of an edge that we would really "need"), but we're coming up on our 2-year mark with AT&T, so if we need to worry about replacing it now might be the time.

tekdoc

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
I had the exact same problem with 2 replacement screens purchased from the same seller on Amazon. Several other buyers had this happen as well. I ended up getting a refund and I am still dealing with the problem until I can find a good screen. I think you and I both got stuck with manufacturer reject screens picked up cheap by the same supplier who then resold them to your repair shop and to resellers like the one I bought mine from.

Aug 11, 2019
Hi I have also experienced this crappy issue.
Unfortunately the truth is you need to replace the screen to fix this 100%.
However if you’re like me and ordered the screen replacement on Amazon or from some China supplier, here’s a slight work around fix:

1. Go to settings and accessibility
  2. Disable the auto-brightness feature
  3. Toggle the brightness down slowly until you see the screen stop flickering.

You can still make manual adjustments to brightness as need be but in my case I’ve noticed the flickering and mirroring occurs over around 50% brightness.

Yes I know it’s probably not a long term solution for most people but instead of suffering while waiting for the time or money for your screen replacement, at least your phone won’t be that unpleasant to use.

For the nerds like me :
The issue is caused by the lcd itself in its design / components used. Screens from 2017-18 and even some in 2019 have been experiencing this. The issue is thought to be the fault of a faulty ic chip and even if pressure is applied to it in the installation process. While we still don’t know for sure, I’d recommend spending a bit more and getting a screen from iFixit or worst case the Apple Store. Also I recommend that if you can find a glass only replacement shop that is reputable, that would be very much cheaper and avoids a lot of these issues of an aftermarket display simply because it’s the same lcd being reused in a glass only replacement. Beware if the shop is inexperienced in glass only replacement they can ruin your original display.

Anyways I hoped this helped.
As always this has been TheCorrectAnswer.

Reactions: Micaël Fernandes
Sep 7, 2019
Hi I have also experienced this crappy issue.
Unfortunately the truth is you need to replace the screen to fix this 100%.
However if you’re like me and ordered the screen replacement on Amazon or from some China supplier, here’s a slight work around fix:

1. Go to settings and accessibility
  2. Disable the auto-brightness feature
  3. Toggle the brightness down slowly until you see the screen stop flickering.
You can still make manual adjustments to brightness as need be but in my case I’ve noticed the flickering and mirroring occurs over around 50% brightness.

Yes I know it’s probably not a long term solution for most people but instead of suffering while waiting for the time or money for your screen replacement, at least your phone won’t be that unpleasant to use.

For the nerds like me :
The issue is caused by the lcd itself in its design / components used. Screens from 2017-18 and even some in 2019 have been experiencing this. The issue is thought to be the fault of a faulty ic chip and even if pressure is applied to it in the installation process. While we still don’t know for sure, I’d recommend spending a bit more and getting a screen from iFixit or worst case the Apple Store. Also I recommend that if you can find a glass only replacement shop that is reputable, that would be very much cheaper and avoids a lot of these issues of an aftermarket display simply because it’s the same lcd being reused in a glass only replacement. Beware if the shop is inexperienced in glass only replacement they can ruin your original display.

Anyways I hoped this helped.
As always this has been TheCorrectAnswer.
The brightness technique worked perfectly for me!
Never got mirroring again!

Thanks a lot!
:giggle: