Question Display or motherboard problem? Updated 12/05/2019

Dec 3, 2019
Update for 12/05/2019

I left the laptop on and charging overnight and the next morning the display was on with the blue Windows screen for startup repair!

Before doing anything i checked to make sure i had mouse control and keyboard control and that seemed to be working fine. I plugged in an external monitor to see if i would display anything on an external display but could not get anything to display. I did try to switch to it with the keyboard key (f10). Also i could not change the brightness of the laptop monitor with the keyboard keys but could turn the backlight of the display on and off and that worked OK.

Next i tried to execute the startup repair after entering my account and password but it said the it could not do the repair. It sent me back to options menu (blue screen) including Advanced Options and Start Windows Normally. So i tried to Start Windows Normally and it went dark again. After sitting overnight i turned it off and back on this morning - so far i have just the dark screen with no activity.

================================================
I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro model 20266 running windows 10.

The display has been acting up for three months now where it would be just the black screen after turning the laptop on.

I could usually get it to boot up and come on after trying it a few times, but now it’s been a while since I have been able to get it to come on.

I know this particular machine has some issues with this black screen failure but am still wondering if I have a display problem or a motherboard problem.

I have tried hooking the machine up to an external monitor and have not been able to get it to display there either and that apparently would points to a motherboard problem. But, still seems odd that this is intermittent if it is the motherboard as I would think that would be either all the time either good or bad and not intermittent (maybe even a software issue).

I have tried several of the tricks to get the display on such as holding down the power button, unplugging the battery, trying without the battery, folding the screen back (this one actually worked for a while making me think it was the display going bad or a connection going bad between the display and case) and trying the small OKR button still shows the black screen.

What the machine does when I push either the on off button or OKR button is flash on the keyboard backlight for a few seconds, then the keyboard light goes out. The display does nothing including no Lenovo splash just black the whole time. Then it just seems to sit. The internal fans do come on and off in this state and the function/spacebar combination will toggle the keyboard light on and off. Also I just noticed the battery low indicator lights up in this state if I leave it on long enough and the keyboard lights will flash on and off when the battery gets low. Then when I plug it in the battery low light will go back off and it seems to charge OK.

Do these things indicate the machine is operating at some level even though the display is not working as it seems to be able to recognize some key functions and recognize that the battery is getting low? Does that seem to point to a display problem?

If I can get this thing booted up again how do I best try to solve this problem.

Oh one other thing, the last time I got the machine up and running I ran the Lenovo online hardware analysis and everything passed. I tried to run the Lenovo driver analysis and it could not complete that for some reason.

Thank you much, in advance, for any advice.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019
Update 12/7/2019
I got it to boot up again and seem to be running OK but i fear it will do the same thing if i reboot or turn it off. Any suggestions on what to do while i have it running?