[SOLVED] Display Output & Nvidia Control Panel Not Working

Sammyslamma

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Hey guys,
My pc has been working perfectly up until tonight whereas I turned it on and there was no output through the display port. I tried a hdmi cable into the motherboard and can see in device manager the graphics card is still available and working. Geforce Experience also detects the graphics card. I uninstalled and re-seated the graphics card and plugged the hdmi directly into the graphics card and amazingly, I get output through the HDMI. However, while the display cable is plugged into the graphics card, the HDMI will not recognise until I unplug the display port cable. I believed that perhaps the display port cable itself is faulty, however I cannot open up the Nvidia Control Panel at all while connected via HDMI and I can see it is only running at 60hz, whereas the monitor runs at 144hz and is causing fps issues and screen tearing.

I honestly have no idea what's going on as the display cable was tested on another system to work, the HDMI cable works, the graphics card outputs through HDMI, geforce and device manager recognise the graphics card, but Nvidia Control Panel refuses to open and the display port seems to not work and deactivate the HDMI port. Also, when I connect the Display Port cable to the graphics card, the system makes the "new connection" sound, but displays no signal from the output. What in the world is going on?
Cheers for any assistance.

Specs:
i5-4690K
GTX 1660Ti
Asus VG248QE Monitor

Solution
Ok, so I should point out that I somehow solved this issue by uninstalling the graphics driver through device manager WHILE the HDMI and Display Port cable were both connected. Instead of giving me a black screen as my main video output was uninstalled, it instead reconnected the Display Port and reinstalled the driver. Upon restarting the system, the Nvidia Control Panel is working. Still have no idea what happened, but hey when it works, it works.

Sammyslamma

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Ok, so I should point out that I somehow solved this issue by uninstalling the graphics driver through device manager WHILE the HDMI and Display Port cable were both connected. Instead of giving me a black screen as my main video output was uninstalled, it instead reconnected the Display Port and reinstalled the driver. Upon restarting the system, the Nvidia Control Panel is working. Still have no idea what happened, but hey when it works, it works.

Solution