[SOLVED] Display port 1.4 in the monitor 1.2

Feb 11, 2020
Hi everybody, have a some problem's with my performance. I have asrock z370pro4, i7-8700k, palit gtx 1080 sjs (this video card support 1.4 dp), 16 gb 3200 hyperx predator, with display port 1.4, recently i bought a monitor Acer kg271b, and noticed, that all Acer monitor's has display port 1.2 . Monitor working fine, i'm writing throught this one right now, but tech power gpu z showing me that current throughput rate of display port is 5.4 gbps x 4, this is number's of display port 1.2 version. So could it be that the wire of display port 1.4 working at the monitor which support display port 1.2 like only display port 1.2... ? Or could it be that the store where I bought display port 1.4 (I bought it in Aliexpress) send to me old display port 1.2 version?
The monitor is 2019 year released year, the display port 1.2 released in the old 2010 year, 10 years passed away already. And i have some trouble's in games, whenever i playing at high or ultra video settings in AAA games, like Battlefield 5 or quake champions, i have some little and micro stuttering, so it is does not give a pleasure... Before i thought that the problem exist inside my ddr4 , before i had 2400hz 16 gb (1 slot) ram, and i was using it only in single channel mode, so i bought a new one 16 gb 3200hz hyper x predator with dual channel mode, but it bring me not a great difference. Any way some micro stuttering is exist, and i couldn't fully enjoying of gaming... I feeling that something are holding back potential of my pc and video card, but i cannot find the reason what is that. Any settings of nvidia set to maximum performance, i installed the latest version of video driver, i tried many different video drivers. All windows 10 settings set to maximum gaming performance. My cpu is overclocked to 4.7 hz, everything in bios set to maximum performance. Any possible botlenecking is disabled. Could you help me fix this problem?
15a6863a5fcf52c74940ac301ffa4ef3-full.jpg

Solution
I'm not sure where in software but, if a clean OS gives you no issues... and the problem reoccurs hours/days later, then there's very likely something you're installing along the way causing the 'problem'.

The only other potential culprit I can think of is your motherboard and potential VRM temps/throttling.
As far as Z370 goes, the Pro4 is one of the weaker VRM setups. It's not horrible, but it's is built to a pricepoint.
I'd expect more obvious issues vs some micro-stutter, but you never know. To be clear, I am NOT recommending you run out and buy a new motherboard - merely speculating.

The 8086K essentially is an 8700K, just slightly better binned. I do have mine clocked at 5.2GHz though, so it would outperform...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
DisplayPort variants should not result in any micro-stutter etc.

With 1.2 on the monitor, that has sufficient bandwidth to drive 1080p/240Hz, 1440p/165Hz, 4K/75Hz.
So, if your monitor is any of those (or somewhere in between), then 1.2 is plenty sufficient and implementing 1.4 would achieve nothing but (slightly) increase cost to the manufacturer.

Feb 11, 2020
DisplayPort variants should not result in any micro-stutter etc.

With 1.2 on the monitor, that has sufficient bandwidth to drive 1080p/240Hz, 1440p/165Hz, 4K/75Hz.
So, if your monitor is any of those (or somewhere in between), then 1.2 is plenty sufficient and implementing 1.4 would achieve nothing but (slightly) increase cost to the manufacturer.

Really? So I don't understand, i'm using 1080p/240hz, , (this monitor has 1080/240hz), my fps average is 90-120, at battlefield 5 at ultra video settings. But any way i'm feeling that something are holding back my pc performance... And every time I must decreasing my video settings to the medium, in order to get good unstuttering gaming. Because whenever i'm totally reinstalled windows , and installed everything fresh like driver's , and set the bios to default , this stuttering disappeared. But after few hour's or day, it again back to the lag's...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Because whenever i'm totally reinstalled windows , and installed everything fresh like driver's , and set the bios to default , this stuttering disappeared. But after few hour's or day, it again back to the lag's...

Then you're likely dealing with a software issue, opposed to hardware if a clean OS install 'fixes' the issue (albeit temporarily).

From website below HDMI 1.4, Display port 1.2
Then the following disturbing note
1. Specifications vary depending on model and/or region.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/03a8104e

I don't see that disclaimer, although it's not surprising (and really just to cover a regional variant not already addresed). It won't be in terms of IO though.

Why is it disturbing?

Feb 11, 2020
Feb 11, 2020
Then you're likely dealing with a software issue, opposed to hardware if a clean OS install 'fixes' the issue (albeit temporarily).

I don't see that disclaimer, although it's not surprising (and really just to cover a regional variant not already addresed). It won't be in terms of IO though.

Why is it disturbing?

Software? Cool, so what from the software could bottlenecking performance? The whole year I was trying to solve this problem, but still it persist... I bought a new memory, bought new monitor... Specially bought a liquid metal for cpu overclocking up to 4.7 hz …. I have approximately same pc built like you, just video card is slowly worse , rtx 2070 giving extra 10 fps compared with gtx 1080... But I think i7-8700k is slowly better than i7-8086k !? Have you got any problem's in AAA games?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm not sure where in software but, if a clean OS gives you no issues... and the problem reoccurs hours/days later, then there's very likely something you're installing along the way causing the 'problem'.

The only other potential culprit I can think of is your motherboard and potential VRM temps/throttling.
As far as Z370 goes, the Pro4 is one of the weaker VRM setups. It's not horrible, but it's is built to a pricepoint.
I'd expect more obvious issues vs some micro-stutter, but you never know. To be clear, I am NOT recommending you run out and buy a new motherboard - merely speculating.

The 8086K essentially is an 8700K, just slightly better binned. I do have mine clocked at 5.2GHz though, so it would outperform yours a little bit in benchmarks or whatever.... but shouldn't be anything of significance in gameplay etc.

I can't really comment on AAA games, as I don't really play any.

Solution
Why you think like that? So why nvidia gtx 1080 released displayport 1.4 , in the 2016 year??? Display port 1.4 could provide 8.1 gbps x4 , vs 5.4 gbps x4 dp 1.2... Dp 1.2 is 2010 year old...
It doesn't affect the performance of your computer, as in the framerate that you get in games.

If turning your game down to medium settings solves your performance issue, then the problem isn't the video cable. The video cable just carries the pixels, and 1080p 240 Hz has the same number of pixels per second no matter whether you are at high settings or medium settings.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Why you think like that? So why nvidia gtx 1080 released displayport 1.4 , in the 2016 year??? Display port 1.4 could provide 8.1 gbps x4 , vs 5.4 gbps x4 dp 1.2... Dp 1.2 is 2010 year old...

DP 1.2 has been around a long time, sure - but unless you (or your monitor etc) have a need for the higher bandwidth available, it's irrelevant.

As mentioned, DP1.2 is more than enough for 1080p/240Hz. Whether 1.2 or 1.4 was implemented in the monitor would make absolutely zero difference.

Feb 11, 2020

The 8086K essentially is an 8700K, just slightly better binned. I do have mine clocked at 5.2GHz though, so it would outperform yours a little bit in benchmarks or whatever.... but shouldn't be anything of significance in gameplay etc.

I can't really comment on AAA games, as I don't really play any.

Omg , a new one m/b ? … I bought new monitor, a new ddr4 ram, I think it is somebody of programmer's specially spamming my pc, In order to that user always would be think that his hardware become old, and will be go to buy something more powerfull. But i'm not one who can spend money each year for a new pc build... I'm from pure 3rd country.
Do you think that some VRM could give that throttling? Z370 chip specially for the productive cpu's, I could take B m/b or H... which are worse... And whenever I was buying this m/b I specially read, that this Asrock one of the best for overclocking...
Can i somehow overclock this VRM, or do it better?

Feb 11, 2020
It doesn't affect the performance of your computer, as in the framerate that you get in games.

If turning your game down to medium settings solves your performance issue, then the problem isn't the video cable. The video cable just carries the pixels, and 1080p 240 Hz has the same number of pixels per second no matter whether you are at high settings or medium settings.

Ok, so where is the problem ? :D

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Do you think that some VRM could give that throttling? Z370 chip specially for the productive cpu's, I could take B m/b or H... which are worse... And whenever I was buying this m/b I specially read, that this Asrock one of the best for overclocking...
Can i somehow overclock this VRM, or do it better?

You cannot "overclock" your VRM, no.

Try removing any overclock, run at stock speeds and, perhaps, point a case fan directly over the socket/VRM area. If that improves things, then at least it gives you some insight.