[SOLVED] Display Port Cable Woes

Seaclam

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
About a week ago, I bought an Asus 279Q /1440 monitor and an EVGA RTX 2080ti. As I wanted more than the 6ft cable included with the monitor, I bought a 10ft QVS cable from MicroCenter. I was almost immediately having static shock issues when touching my desktop DAC or a metal table lamp. This would cause the monitor to flicker to black for a second, never loosing where I was terms of browsing or gaming.

As I had recently moved my setup to a different corner of the room then before when I had an older EVGA 1070 and 1080p monitor, I was concerned about possible wall outlet ground issues, power strip, power supply(5 year old Corsair atxi 1200), and various cables. After re- installing the older card.......generating static and touching metal using both HDMI and DP cables....... checking DP cable connections on both sides, power and VGA MB slot connections........ I came to the conclusion that it's ONLY when plugging in the longer 10ft gold plated DP cables that the static release goes through the DAC or anything else connected with metal, that it flickers the monitor black for a second. The presumably 6ft cheepy(not gold plated) DP cable that Asus included with the monitor actually will NOT cause this on either card. Either will HDMI on either card.

I thought I might have a bad display port on the Asus monitor side, but so far I am unable to recreate the issue with the included 6ft DP run from Asus. Is this a known issue with longer runs of DP cables over 6ft or gold plating. I bought the 10 ft QVS and Micro Connector brands at Microcenter. Did really see anything else to get, but they both create the issue.....

Anybody have this same issue? Any luck with certain brands? Are DP cables "more touchy" to static with longer runs?

Thanks guys and gals for any input.....

Solution
I would recommend trying a VESA-certified cable. Off-brand cables are usually not certified and sometimes are not designed correctly.