[SOLVED] Display port no signal issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrej_3

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Hey guys,

I've recently bought an ASUS BE249QLB monitor and when I connect it to my MSI GTX970 via display port, it just indicates that there is no signal, even though I've set connection type on my monitor to DP. I found an old VGA cable with a DVI adapter and it worked without any issue - the monitor automatically switched to a VGA connection and started working as intended. Do you have any idea why DP may not provide any signal? I'm using the DP cable provided with the monitor. This is also my single monitor (no other monitors connected).

Things I've tried:

• Installing latest GPU drivers
  • Plugging power cable off and on (I've read that sometimes this is an issue)
  • Choosing DP connection on my monitor.
  • Checked forums for the solution and found plenty of complains related to DP and GTX970, but they were mostly 2014/early 2015 and related to an older BIOS version and/or GPU drivers. My versions seems to be newer.

I've also read that it may be possible to fix this by connecting the monitor via HDMI and DP, then tweaking priority settings, but unfortunately I don't have an HDMI cable right now, so I decided to ask here for other possible solutions before buying one.

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MightyMikeGR
Solution
Maybe check your monitor settings again now that the DP appears to be making proper contact. Maybe it offset something?

Is the case getting in the way at all for it to be the reason for it not clicking in properly?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Check DP cable end is making proper connection to the 970. I had someone with an issue where DP plug wouldn't lock in properly, blocked by the case. Those pointy bits on the plug should lock in making it difficult to just pull out, like your monitor. If it can be pulled out too easy without effort like your monitor than its not connecting all the way. To release a DP cable it needs to be pressed upwards while in reverse motion.

Andrej_3

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016

Looks similar, I will try that stuff with EDID when I come back from work.

Looks like it was really not connected properly - it *clunked* when I pushed it further and now I cant pull it off easily, but unfortunately it didn't solve my problem. :/

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe check your monitor settings again now that the DP appears to be making proper contact. Maybe it offset something?

Is the case getting in the way at all for it to be the reason for it not clicking in properly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Andrej_3

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016

Your suggestions made me recheck all the connections again (plugging, unplugging etc) and it worked! Seems like the problems was really in decent connection of the cables. Had to push it unusually hard though. Seems like it also helped to solve slight flickering on same-color background that was present while I was using VGA/DVI connection. Anyway, thanks again!

Reactions: SHaines

veidu

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
I had similar problem. Everything was good when using HDMI. But using DP screen was just blank, both in BIOS and in Windows.

It turned out my monitor's power cable was "little" disconnected - worked fine for HDMI but not enough power for DP. Everything worked fine after unplugging and plugging power connections.

jackhinkley

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I know this is an old thread, but I had this problem just then and managed to fix it (for me at least), the problem being the monitor not being recognised when plugged in with DisplayPort but working perfectly with HDMI. After deleting NVIDIA drivers etc. to no avail I tried simply unplugging my monitor's power cable and plugging back in, just in case it was the processor in there that was messing up the connection (after I read about the complexity of the digital connection between the monitor and the card). Luckily enough, that was the problem and it fixed itself promptly. No need to buy new cables or components.

Good luck to anyone who has this problem, and I hope my experience helped.

LEONARAN

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

imthedot

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017

I have had this same issue and done a lot of testing with different monitors and cables and what i have found is some monitors dont keep connection well via displayport. the best solution i have found yet is to unplug the monitor and wait for the power lights to cycle off (5-10 seconds) before plugging back in. turn on and it should auto connect. I have tried everything from different cables, connecting with an hdmi first and changing it to DP. rebooting pc. rebooting monitor. my BenqXL27 has this problem almost every time. It connects fine with just hdmi but then you can't run 144hz which I do so this is not a solution in my opinion. I also have a newer ASUS vg248 and it connects every time via DisplayPort so i made that my main and the Benq my secondary and this solves the problem as once your into the OS the older monitor starts picking up the signal automatically. I think the benq is only a year or so older then the Asus.

imthedot

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
Interesting to note that im using an asus ROG 1070gtx and it connects to the asus screen via dp fine but not the Benq... seems fishy. cound be on Benqs side also. I believe this is software related.

artemisprime

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
I have dual ASUS VS228H-P monitors connected to an HP Elitebook 840 (Windows 10 Enterprise) and the one connected using an HDMI to VGA cable kept giving me the same issue. After updating firmware/drivers/etc. I started messing with the menu on the working monitor to find the Input Select menu - curious as to whether it would make a difference, as I never selected an Input source for the working monitor - I plugged the VGA into the non-working monitor and pulled up the menu, choosing HDMI as the Input. I then plugged the HDMI to VGA in and it worked!

Bootrec

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Adding my fix in case someone like me ends up here looking for the issue... mine was also the cable not fully inserted, but on the monitor end, not the video card. So basically, check both ends by pushing them in fully.

yoodoll

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

Dude! I was honestly going to return the screen... I can't believe the fix is as simple as reinserting the power cable to the monitor!

ptinnabavorn

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018

I love you so much <3

Trevtheman

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014

This is what worked for me.

May 26, 2018
Would also like to add another solution for the people of the future:
If you are using Nvidia:

1. Open up the Nvidia control panel
2. Click set up multiple displays
3. Ensure you monitor has a checkmark next to it

This fixed my issue. Also for EVERYONE, after you fix this issue, ensure you manually set you monitor back to 144 hz.

Hope this helps someone!

cheejin

Honorable
Nov 11, 2018
A fix for me was installing drivers. I removed the Nvidia drivers of my old card but forgot to install the new drivers. I had the same problem. My DVI was fine but the display port and HDMI were not responding at all. Works great now.

Jan 15, 2019

↑Bruuuuuuuu ive been looking for months and im ashamed of my self... i didnt even check this :( thanks tho this made my day:)

Apr 27, 2019
If you are using Nvidia:

This fixed my issue. Also for EVERYONE, after you fix this issue, ensure you manually set you monitor back to 144 hz.

Hope this helps someone!

I created a account just to tell you that you are a lord and thank you SOOO MUCHHH!!!!! Power flickered off the other day then my main 144 hz wouldn't work with display port. Went and bought a new cable, still didn't work. Looked on this forum and tried multiple things that didn't work. THEN I came to the genius (YOU). Haha, foreal I appreciate it.

Aug 5, 2019
If you are using Nvidia:

Hope this helps someone!
I created a account just to tell you that you are a lord and thank you SOOO MUCHHH!!!!! Power flickered off the other day then my main 144 hz wouldn't work with display port. Went and bought a new cable, still didn't work. Looked on this forum and tried multiple things that didn't work. THEN I came to the genius (YOU). Haha, foreal I appreciate it.

Here I am, I did the same, I registered to this forum only to say thank you, this is the fix I needed. Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.