[SOLVED] Display port only shows bios but not windows (ASUS VP249QGR & Galax RTX 2060)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
Hey, so I have an ASUS VP249QGR and I'm having a bit of trouble with it. I'm not getting any signal from the display port and I'm having trouble figuring out what the problem is:

First, during the first boot (This build is about a week or two old), the display port worked fine. I even used it to install windows using a usb boot drive, and installed a few of windows' automatic updates. Then, in the middle of one of them, the display port stopped receiving signal.

At that point, I thought the monitor was broken. But, when I used an HDMI cable, it worked. So, I carried on just using the HDMI cable. It supports 144hz on HDMI so I thought, no big deal.

Anyway, fast forward to now, I suddenly wanted to figure out why the display port isn't working. I tried the unplug the monitor to let the capacitors or whatever lose charge thing but it didn't work.

What I did find out, though, was that the display port receives signal during the boot up phase. Like, it shows the GIGABYTE logo and allows me to enter the BIOS of my motherboard to change stuff around and when I save and quit so it can boot into Windows 10 it stops receiving signal.

I tried looking stuff up but I can't find any other cases with my specific problem. What could be going wrong?

Solution
Its late here (as I said), I will look at this tomorrow.
A repair install is looking like the easy way from here.

all repair install does is reisntalls win 10 over itself. it should fix this as should have source. I need to find the proper steps for it now the media creation tool doesn't include a wim. I think there is a version that uses the esd file instead

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\ESD\Windows\sources\install.esd /LimitAccess

see if that works.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I even used it to install windows using a usb boot drive, and installed a few of windows' automatic updates. Then, in the middle of one of them, the display port stopped receiving signal.
its a driver problem, not the display

mainly as it does work in bios, not windows.
try uninstalling your gpu drivers in safe mode using DDU, restart and reinstall drivers from makers website.

Reactions: Endre

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
its a driver problem, not the display

mainly as it does work in bios, not windows.
try uninstalling your gpu drivers in safe mode using DDU, restart and reinstall drivers from makers website.

So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers but the display port still wouldn't work. Though, I believe you are correct that it's a driver problem. After hitting the restart button three times I was able to boot in safe mode and my display port would get a signal from there but when I rebooted out of it, it wouldn't get a signal again and I had to plug the HDMI cable back in.

Where do I go from here?

EDIT: In case I got something wrong in the driver reinstallation process, I'll just put down what I did.

• Downloaded rtx 2060 drivers from NVIDIA and DDU
  • Rebooted into safe mode
  • Went into DDU and selected GPU device type and NVIDIA
  • Went for the Clean and Restart option
  • Then, I installed the drivers I dled earlier

Afterwards:
  • Tried to check the Display Port source on my monitor and it said no signal.
  • Unplugged HDMI cable from both monitor and GPU
  • Hit restart button over and over
  • Booted in safe mode and got signal
  • Rebooted again, no more signal

Colif

Win 11 Master
What is the description showing for the monitor itself in device manager?
it should just be generic PnP driver, but its possible the update installed a monitor driver
same I guess for display adapter, should only show the 2060

PF1u74J.jpg

I assume DP is only cable attached?
only one monitor attached?
nothing using dvi? i assume 2060 don't have dvi so that is probably moot.
what motherboard is it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
easier way to get to safe mode
open command prompt (admin)
Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.
(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:
BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY
EXIT

Now when you start, Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).
Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

To reverse that you can use the same steps and type these (again note spaces)

C:
BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

Restart but F8 will not work now.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
What is the description showing for the monitor itself in device manager?
it should just be generic PnP driver, but its possible the update installed a monitor driver
same I guess for display adapter, should only show the 2060

PF1u74J.jpg

I assume DP is only cable attached?
only one monitor attached?
nothing using dvi? i assume 2060 don't have dvi so that is probably moot.
what motherboard is it?

2JmyH1p.png

When I was testing out the DP cable after reinstalling the drivers, I only had the DP cable attached. Right now, I have both DP and HDMI plugged in so I can use the monitor.

I don't think anything else is using DVI, both cables are plugged into the monitor and even when I was testing it with only the DP cable attached it wouldn't work.

My motherboard is GIGABYTE B550M DS3H

Edit: Only one monitor attached

Colif

Win 11 Master
i thought it might have been intel and have igpu but ryzen don't generally. Given newness of board I assume its a 5 series GPU

right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
what version of win 10 are you on? Latest is 20H2

its odd an update of win 10 removed display port.

i found a solution. i had to turn off, then plug out from the power outlet both my pc and my monitor, then wait for a few minutes. thats it. its pretty blunt, but it solved the problem.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e-update/62557f5d-0048-44d5-ae37-4df6d88c7b6e
seems he wasn't only one who used that - https://thegeekpage.com/display-port-no-signal/

seems to only affect 2060

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
i thought it might have been intel and have igpu but ryzen don't generally. Given newness of board I assume its a 5 series GPU

right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
what version of win 10 are you on? Latest is 20H2

its odd an update of win 10 removed display port.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e-update/62557f5d-0048-44d5-ae37-4df6d88c7b6e
seems he wasn't only one who used that - https://thegeekpage.com/display-port-no-signal/

seems to only affect 2060

My Windows Version is 20H2

I tried the plugging off thing before I made the thread but I tried it again and I still didn't get a signal. Though, again, I was able to see the gigabyte logo and if I had pressed delete I would've probably been able to go into the bios but once that finished and it started going into windows, I get no signal again. This was done with only the DP cable plugged in.

I took a peak into the other threads and one of them said I should install things like NVIDIA DIsplay Port Firmware Update and Intel stuff. But the Intel solution doesn't really apply to me and the NVIDIA Display Port Firmware Update didn't apply for my graphics card.

I'm kind of lost as to what to try next.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you had any more updates since then? Just curious if you know which update it was. Thing is with windows, an update broke it, another likely fix it.

You could try a repair install, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

All that does is removes all the updates and puts 20H2 back on as it was before updates. Then you could go into windows update and click pause updates for a week. then click advanced options and right down the bottom you can extend the update pause period up to 35 days.

Not ideal solution but you know windows worked, an update stopped it.

then you can update drivers yourself and hopefully avoid this again.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
Have you had any more updates since then? Just curious if you know which update it was. Thing is with windows, an update broke it, another likely fix it.

You could try a repair install, https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

All that does is removes all the updates and puts 20H2 back on as it was before updates. Then you could go into windows update and click pause updates for a week. then click advanced options and right down the bottom you can extend the update pause period up to 35 days.

Not ideal solution but you know windows worked, an update stopped it.

then you can update drivers yourself and hopefully avoid this again.

I checked for updates earlier today to see if any would fix it but the only one I got was: KB4601319 (OS Builds 19041.804 and 19042.804). And it didn't fix the DP issue.

I'll keep the repair install thing in mind but I don't want to have to reDL every single one of my files rn so I'll stick with the HDMI thing for now and wait for other solutions.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it only removes windows updates, everything else should stay as is. You shouldn't need to download anything apart from the updates you don't want.

I have moved thread into GPU area as its more likely the card than the display. I can find rtx 2060 having DP problems with Nvidia drivers last year. Up until december. DP stops working completely in win 10. I am not sure how

i doubt this will help
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

as its a driver problem not a windows problem, but worth a try.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what happens if you don't install any drivers after ddu?
Windows update should grab nvidia drivers but they won't be as new as the ones on Nvidia website, have you tried that?
just wondering if its the default win 10 drivers that are at fault here. I use geforce experience so I don't know how old the Windows driver is now.

uninstalling nvidia drivers wouldn't remove it as its marked as Microsoft.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
what happens if you don't install any drivers after ddu?
Windows update should grab nvidia drivers but they won't be as new as the ones on Nvidia website, have you tried that?
just wondering if its the default win 10 drivers that are at fault here. I use geforce experience so I don't know how old the Windows driver is now.

uninstalling nvidia drivers wouldn't remove it as its marked as Microsoft.

I'll give this a try real quick.

I tried the Windows Powershell thing and got this as a result:
PS C:\Windows\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
Repair-WindowsImage : The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store
cannot be repaired.
At line:1 char:1
  • Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: :)) [Repair-WindowsImage], COMException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.RepairWindowsImageCommand

PS C:\Windows\system32>

As for the repair install, I may do that later. How long can I keep windows from updating for? And will not being up to date mess with my NVIDIA stuff? It's because I'm new to building computers and the tutorial I watched said that it's best if I let Windows update everything before installing my drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
wow, source error.

well, you on 20H2 so that makes this possible

Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

Spacing is important, if you don't get it right you will get an error 50.

if that works, it might fix whatever broke and maybe DP will work again. Seems something is wrong with your image file (its used by windows to install itself)

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
wow, source error.

well, you on 20H2 so that makes this possible

Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

Spacing is important, if you don't get it right you will get an error 50.

BIG UPDATE!

I just launched with only the display port cable attached after uninstalling the drivers and I got signal from the display port....

But while I was typing up this message, my screen flashed black and lost signal again so I plugged the HDMI cable back in.

I'll try this now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
As for the repair install, I may do that later. How long can I keep windows from updating for? And will not being up to date mess with my NVIDIA stuff? It's because I'm new to building computers and the tutorial I watched said that it's best if I let Windows update everything before installing my drivers.
you can stall windows update for up to 35 days.
Nvidia probably doesn't need you to be on a particular version, 20H2 base is likely new enough for it. Many people still using older versions of win 10.
updating windows is normally good advice, seems it broke itself along the way.
windows updates haven't been perfect recently, in December one broke my shutdown and it was only in January another fixed it again.

DISM Source should fix the problem. repair install replaces the image file, Source uses the ISO as the image file and rebuilds it as it should be. Run SFC /scannow after the source command. then restart PC.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
you can stall windows update for up to 35 days.
Nvidia probably doesn't need you to be on a particular version, 20H2 base is likely new enough for it. Many people still using older versions of win 10.
updating windows is normally good advice, seems it broke itself along the way.
windows updates haven't been perfect recently, in December one broke my shutdown and it was only in January another fixed it again.

DISM Source should fix the problem. repair install replaces the image file, Source uses the ISO as the image file and rebuilds it as it should be. Run SFC /scannow after the source command. then restart PC.

Alright, I'm currently 20% making a Windows 10 ISO. Should I reinstall my NVIDIA drivers while waiting?

Also, why did I suddenly get a signal after my first boot after uninstalling the drivers only to lose the signal after like 2 - 4 minutes?

Colif

Win 11 Master
it seems the basic display drivers know what Display port does but the drivers installed by windows afterwards don't. hence why screen flashed black as it was loading the new drivers.

they install fine, card is recognised, so its not like its a bad card, as in most cases the drivers won't install for them. HDMI works, so card is okay... its just windows...
i wouldn't install nvidia drivers yet. I don't think it is drivers but something internal to windows.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
it seems the basic display drivers know what Display port does but the drivers installed by windows afterwards don't. hence why screen flashed black as it was loading the new drivers.

they install fine, card is recognised, so its not like its a bad card, as in most cases the drivers won't install for them. HDMI works, so card is okay... its just windows...
i wouldn't install nvidia drivers yet. I don't think it is drivers but something internal to windows.

Alright, I'll do the DISM thing as soon as the ISO finishes. Should I type: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

In command prompt or windows powershell?

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
command prompt
i would copy paste if you can.

I haven't looked to see what that command looks like in powershell. unlike sfc its not the same.

Okay, so this is what I got from that:

ro2JUVr.png

I'm pretty sure I did it right. The ISO was on drive D:
zKHn02e.png

EDIT: Changed the command prompt thing to a screenshot cus of the emoji

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is a new step... I haven't had to use Source for a while.

See step 2 here - https://www.wintips.org/fix-dism-0x800f081f-error-in-windows-10-8/ from the 2nd point since you already mounted it. , seems the iso needs to have a command run on it to create the WIM file.
Step 3 is rest of the process.

hope this works

I knew what :D was, I seen our text editor in action before. Nice if it didn't make them into emoji

if i stop answering, its cause its almost 4am here and I need some sleep soon. i will look again tomorrow...

Last edited:

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
That is a new step... I haven't had to use Source for a while.

See step 2 here - https://www.wintips.org/fix-dism-0x800f081f-error-in-windows-10-8/ from the 2nd point since you already mounted it. , seems the iso needs to have a command run on it to create the WIM file.
Step 3 is rest of the process.

hope this works

I knew what :D was, I seen our text editor in action before. Nice if it didn't make them into emoji

if i stop answering, its cause its almost 4am here and I need some sleep soon. i will look again tomorrow...

Okay, so I followed up to step 3.4 and this is what I ended up with:

cnUFuEl.png

Source still couldn't be found. I even ran the command twice just in case.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its late here (as I said), I will look at this tomorrow.
A repair install is looking like the easy way from here.

all repair install does is reisntalls win 10 over itself. it should fix this as should have source. I need to find the proper steps for it now the media creation tool doesn't include a wim. I think there is a version that uses the esd file instead

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\ESD\Windows\sources\install.esd /LimitAccess

see if that works.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.