[SOLVED] Display port only shows bios but not windows (ASUS VP249QGR & Galax RTX 2060)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
Hey, so I have an ASUS VP249QGR and I'm having a bit of trouble with it. I'm not getting any signal from the display port and I'm having trouble figuring out what the problem is:

First, during the first boot (This build is about a week or two old), the display port worked fine. I even used it to install windows using a usb boot drive, and installed a few of windows' automatic updates. Then, in the middle of one of them, the display port stopped receiving signal.

At that point, I thought the monitor was broken. But, when I used an HDMI cable, it worked. So, I carried on just using the HDMI cable. It supports 144hz on HDMI so I thought, no big deal.

Anyway, fast forward to now, I suddenly wanted to figure out why the display port isn't working. I tried the unplug the monitor to let the capacitors or whatever lose charge thing but it didn't work.

What I did find out, though, was that the display port receives signal during the boot up phase. Like, it shows the GIGABYTE logo and allows me to enter the BIOS of my motherboard to change stuff around and when I save and quit so it can boot into Windows 10 it stops receiving signal.

I tried looking stuff up but I can't find any other cases with my specific problem. What could be going wrong?

Solution
Its late here (as I said), I will look at this tomorrow.
A repair install is looking like the easy way from here.

all repair install does is reisntalls win 10 over itself. it should fix this as should have source. I need to find the proper steps for it now the media creation tool doesn't include a wim. I think there is a version that uses the esd file instead

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\ESD\Windows\sources\install.esd /LimitAccess

see if that works.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
or

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:C:\ESD\Windows\sources\install.esd:1 /LimitAccess

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

my internet stopped working half way through a post

you might need to change C to D since that is where the image file is.

Okay, just going to give an update while you're asleep (tysomuch btw for trying help me out at like 3 or 4 am your time, that means a lot).

I did a repair install then the DISM thing with command prompt. It worked so I did the SFC scan thing afterwards that the page you linked me told me to do.

Then, I tried restarting with only the DP cable on the monitor and it showed the GIGABYTE logo but when it came time to start windows, no signal again. I guess it really is just a Windows thing that I have to wait for an update to fix.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was going to have an early night last night, I didn't expect your question to spiral into strange territory :)
have you got another pc to check it out in?
can you run ubuntu live usb and see if it works with display port?

I am just wondering if it is a problem with the card itself or just windows. it only seems to work with the basic display driver, we know HDMI is fine but not the Display Ports. The places it works don't stress card. Safe mode, bios, these don't expect much from the card. I assumed it was a driver problem but it could be the card itself without proof they work.

Yes, it worked until you got updates but windows update grabs drivers so it could have been the Nvidia drivers being loaded that stopped it working, windows might be fine.
I assume you have tried getting drivers direct from Nvidia?
There should be a new version of Win 10 in April so if it is Windows, that might fix it.
At least HDMI works.

Last edited:

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
I was going to have an early night last night, I didn't expect your question to spiral into strange territory :)
have you got another pc to check it out in?
can you run ubuntu live usb and see if it works with display port?

I am just wondering if it is a problem with the card itself or just windows. it only seems to work with the basic display driver, we know HDMI is fine but not the Display Ports. The places it works don't stress card. Safe mode, bios, these don't expect much from the card. I assumed it was a driver problem but it could be the card itself without proof they work.

Yes, it worked until you got updates but windows update grabs drivers so it could have been the Nvidia drivers being loaded that stopped it working, windows might be fine.
I assume you have tried getting drivers direct from Nvidia?
There should be a new version of Win 10 in April so if it is Windows, that might fix it.
At least HDMI works.

Sorry for the late reply, but I think I managed to isolate what the problem is. So, I uninstalled the drivers using DDU again and this time, before starting the computer back up, I unplugged the ethernet cord to make sure no automatic updates would download. I was able to get signal from the DP for as long as I wanted. Then, when I started installing the drivers I downloaded from the NVIDIA website, the DP lost signal mid-way through the installation.

So, it turns out Windows is fine and the NVIDIA drivers seems to be at fault here. That being said, though, I don't know what to do from here. Is there a way to report this to NVIDIA so they can fix it in their next driver or something?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Might need to ask about it on the Nvidia forums as if it only effects 2060 there has to be others with same problems and I didn't find many recent. All I saw were 2019 mostly. there were drivers that would remove DP back then as well.

I knew it worked with basic graphics drivers but need to know if it happens on more than 1 PC.

I don't think any motherboard drivers would be at play here. might want to see if there is a new bios for your motherboard.

What are details of PC? i never asked (it didn't seem relevant)

your gpu has a display screen on it? just looked at galax site to see if they had any drivers. Might need a specific driver number.

Last edited:

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
Might need to ask about it on the Nvidia forums as if it only effects 2060 there has to be others with same problems and I didn't find many recent. All I saw were 2019 mostly. there were drivers that would remove DP back then as well.

I knew it worked with basic graphics drivers but need to know if it happens on more than 1 PC.

I don't think any motherboard drivers would be at play here. might want to see if there is a new bios for your motherboard.

What are details of PC? i never asked (it didn't seem relevant)

Ahh, I only have access to this one PC so I can't really test that out. I will make a post on the NVIDIA forums though.

Also, I updated my motherboard bios shortly after I switched to HDMI during my first boot.

Here are my specs:
MOBO: Gigabyte B550M DS3H
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500X
GPU: Galax RTX 2060

I don't think the rest are really relevant, but I have 2 sticks of 8gb ram (Don't have the receipt on me right now so I can't tell you the brand) and a 650W PSU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Maybe updating chipset drivers will help - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

i don't know the internals of what controls the graphics pipeline, apart from the cpu which is in everything. I wouldn't know if chipset drivers would play a part or not.
i have a 3600xt so cpu similar in real core count.

I think its either the card or the drivers, hopefully there is a driver version they can tell you on Nvidia forums that fixes it.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
Maybe updating chipset drivers will help - https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

i don't know the internals of what controls the graphics pipeline, apart from the cpu which is in everything. I wouldn't know if chipset drivers would play a part or not.
i have a 3600xt so cpu similar in real core count.

I think its either the card or the drivers, hopefully there is a driver version they can tell you on Nvidia forums that fixes it.

Installed the chipset drivers and switched to DP source and still no signal. Yeah, I'm just going to hope the NVIDIA forums has a driver for me to install or they fix this issue in a future driver. Thank you so much though for all the help in troubleshooting and for sticking with me for so long!

Colif

Win 11 Master
otherwise I would see about getting card tested in another PC, even at a repair store, They could put a GPU they know works into your PC too to test that end but I suspect its the card.

i would have been here anyway, I like to solve mysteries :)

Let me know how you get on, we can keep trying if Nvidia doesn't offer anything.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
otherwise I would see about getting card tested in another PC, even at a repair store, They could put a GPU they know works into your PC too to test that end but I suspect its the card.

i would have been here anyway, I like to solve mysteries :)

Let me know how you get on, we can keep trying if Nvidia doesn't offer anything.

The only reply to the NVIDIA thread I posted was to buy a DP cable rated 1.2 or above. Is it worth trying to do that though? Since the DP does work but stops once NVIDIA drivers are installed. Just asking for advice before actually buying one because I don't want to waste money.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its cheaper than a new gpu or getting it looked at.

Cables is something i should have thought of.

Though I now not sure if the cable I am using is 1.4 or not. - Note: nope, its 1.2.

hmm, we shall see. I am using a 1.2 cable on Display port on a 1440p 144htz 32 inch monitor attached to a 2070S and I not seen this problem.

So we shall see if the cable fixes it as I would have to wonder why. Your screen is a 24 inch 1080p 1440htz monitor. So it should work with a 1.2 cable,
where did you get cable you are using?

Last edited:

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
its cheaper than a new gpu or getting it looked at.

Cables is something i should have thought of.

Though I now not sure if the cable I am using is 1.4 or not. - Note: nope, its 1.2.

hmm, we shall see. I am using a 1.2 cable on Display port on a 1440p 144htz 32 inch monitor attached to a 2070S and I not seen this problem.

So we shall see if the cable fixes it as I would have to wonder why. Your screen is a 24 inch 1080p 1440htz monitor. So it should work with a 1.2 cable,
where did you get cable you are using?

I got the cable from the same place I purchased the parts. It's unbranded though so there's a chance that it's too crappy to make the monitor work with the NVIDIA drivers (I think?)

going to ask for more assistance as I might have missed something.

If cable doesn't help, try another clean install. It could still be windows is broken. I only suggest it as I feel someone else might,

Thanks a lot! In the mean time, I'll wait for the cable to get here. This was what I went with: https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...o4l.searchlist.list.1.1bca363cmDO6Lr&search=1

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, if cable doesn't work its nice for an upgrade.
Shame your monitor didn't include a display port cable as mine did but i had a longer one by that stage so never used it.
My screen is only Display Port 1.2 so i guess my new cable matches my screen.

Your monitor is only Display Port 1.2 as well. https://www.asus.com/au/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/All-series/VP249QGR/techspec/

looks at Nvidia answer and goes hmm, I don't think that is right. It doesn't make sense that the cable needs to be 1.4 when the monitor isn't. My pc is living proof.
its possible your cable is 1.1, I really am not on expert on dp cables. I didn't even know there were different types of cables, I knew about the ports.

guess we wait and see if cable is fix.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
well, if cable doesn't work its nice for an upgrade.
Shame your monitor didn't include a display port cable as mine did but i had a longer one by that stage so never used it.
My screen is only Display Port 1.2 so i guess my new cable matches my screen.

Your monitor is only Display Port 1.2 as well. https://www.asus.com/au/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/All-series/VP249QGR/techspec/

looks at Nvidia answer and goes hmm, I don't think that is right. It doesn't make sense that the cable needs to be 1.4 when the monitor isn't. My pc is living proof.
its possible your cable is 1.1, I really am not on expert on dp cables. I didn't even know there were different types of cables, I knew about the ports.

guess we wait and see if cable is fix.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit anxious because when looking up stuff about cables, the general consensus is that all cables are equal and only the ports have differences and the fact that I do get signal until the NVIDIA drivers install make it hard for me to believe that it's an actual cable issue.

I did find this too:View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/fjdddx/asus_vp249qgr_monitor/

Seems like he resolved his problem by buying a different cable but there are a few differences. He has a GTX 1660 and he couldn't even see his BIOS screen.

Idk, should I cancel the order?

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
Do you know anyone else with a monitor that uses Display Port? that would be one way to see if its the monitor at least.

tried 3 different DP cables with same monitor
i also found your post about it on reddit
how new is monitor? maybe you can return it and get different model that doesn't have this issue?

Nope, and even if I did, travel's a bit tough right now due to the lockdown. Returning it and getting a different monitor is kind of tough too since the place where I bought the parts is pretty far.

The monitor itself is about two weeks old now and I think the warranty/return period was only for three days, at least from what I remember. Also, they said the warranty only applies if I have a dead pixel on the monitor.

Not sure if I should go through with the DP cable order or just stick with the HDMI cable.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
its not showing No Signal is it? it just goes blank

As this for an older model
it feels like I suggested it

Asus warranty would be longer. if you can prove its monitor you could contact them.

Asus monitors have a history with DP

It shows no signal, and it only does that after NVIDIA drivers are installed. Otherwise, it's fine. Tried the thing showed in the video and it still didn't get a signal.

I might look into the warranty but if it's an issue with NVIDIA drivers, I doubt getting a new monitor will be of use.

At this point, I'm debating on whether I should just cancel the order for the DP cable and just stick with the HDMI to save the money.

Colif

Win 11 Master
lots of maybes
  • could be cable, you might have an old cable that doesn't support HD or something.
  • could be monitor - could at least Ask Asus what they suggest
  • Could be Nvidia. but I don't find many problems with 2060 for last 2 years. so I don't know.
HDMI is fine but can't run monitor at 144hz, max is 120. from what I read.

I can't tell you what to do, its your choice. I would at least ask Asus as that doesn't cost anything
not sure what Zentalk under support in top right is - https://www.asus.com/au/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/All-series/VP249QGR/HelpDesk_Knowledge/

Last edited:

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
lots of maybes
  • could be cable, you might have an old cable that doesn't support HD or something.
  • could be monitor - could at least Ask Asus what they suggest
  • Could be Nvidia. but I don't find many problems with 2060 for last 2 years. so I don't know.
HDMI is fine but can't run monitor at 144hz, max is 120. from what I read.

I can't tell you what to do, its your choice. I would at least ask Asus as that doesn't cost anything
not sure what Zentalk under support in top right is - https://www.asus.com/au/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/All-series/VP249QGR/HelpDesk_Knowledge/

I can hit 144hz due to HDMI 2.0 or something. As for the cable thing, I'll just suck it up and buy it and if it doesn't work, I'll just report my findings to the NVIDIA post I made and hope for the best.

I'll ask Asus tomorrow-ish or something in case they have a solution.

Thanks for the links and thanks again for the help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I put thread back in display area as you might have been right all along.

thinks.. still odd it works in some parts of windows and not others. The port works, its just not getting a signal once you load drivers.

wonders who to point finger at. I don't know if its the monitor or Nvidia. Or the cable lol.. sorry (it is 5am again).

its like the screensize is too big for the display, but that shouldn't happen as soon as you load drivers. But then you get out of range errors then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What speed is monitor set to? maybe make it 60 and see if it changes anything. I am not sure it would, just thinking. HDMI doesn't go as fast anyway. So it shouldn't be reason. screen can't do 240 so its not like its too fast for GPU.

tempmthrow

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
What speed is monitor set to? maybe make it 60 and see if it changes anything. I am not sure it would, just thinking. HDMI doesn't go as fast anyway. So it shouldn't be reason. screen can't do 240 so its not like its too fast for GPU.

It's set to 144hz right now. Just tried to set it to 60 and switch to DP and it didn't work. The refresh rate can't be the problem since during the first boot the first thing I did was change the refresh rate to 144hz and it worked fine until the windows updates which, as of now, I'm pretty sure were the NVIDIA drivers automatically installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.