[SOLVED] display port vs hdmi

geekkyyy

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
i have a 27 inch 4k lg monitor running on rx 580 graphics card...when i play time spy on displort cable,,,i loose the signal after playing time spy about a minute....when i switch to hdmi, i can play the entire time spy...what is wrong with displort

Solution
Displayport is BETTER than HDMI for 4k, but that does not mean that there is not a problem with either the DP cable or the DP output on the graphics card. HDMI cannot do what DP can do, when it comes to higher resolutions and refresh rates, so DP is always preferred IF it is necessary to achieve the resolution and refresh rate you require. If you do not NEED to use DP to achieve that, then it makes no difference whether you use one or the other really.

You may also need to go into the settings menu on the monitors and set the input type to DP. Some monitors do this automatically, some do not.
You probably have a poor quality cable, especially if it is a long one. Poor quality cables have issues with long runs, and cables in general, especially when they are cheap examples, can be problematic.

It could also be a problem with your graphics card, but I'd try a better quality DP cable first.

If the DP cable doesn't fix the problem I'd try to use or borrow another graphics card that DOES have DP, or swap in a different monitor that has DP, to eliminate one or the other, because it COULD be a problem with the DP circuit on your display as well.

If you try another graphics card and it does the same thing, then you know it's the monitor. If you try another monitor and it does the same thing, then you know it's the graphics card. And in both cases, visa versa.

In many cases when it comes to troubleshooting hardware problems there simply ISN'T any easy way, you HAVE to swap parts in to identify the issue. That's just the way it is.

geekkyyy

Commendable
Aug 9, 2020
ok....ran time on another computer with diplay port cable, it does not run period....the hdmi does..these are 4k monitors, and wonder if displayport cable is not good for 4k

Displayport is BETTER than HDMI for 4k, but that does not mean that there is not a problem with either the DP cable or the DP output on the graphics card. HDMI cannot do what DP can do, when it comes to higher resolutions and refresh rates, so DP is always preferred IF it is necessary to achieve the resolution and refresh rate you require. If you do not NEED to use DP to achieve that, then it makes no difference whether you use one or the other really.

You may also need to go into the settings menu on the monitors and set the input type to DP. Some monitors do this automatically, some do not.

Solution