Display Problem - green/blue tint

mikari

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
Hi, I'm trying to figure out if my monitor is not working or if it is my video card or both. My monitor has a green/blue tint to it and I can't see the color red, but if I bring up the settings I can see red, though changing/resetting the color settings doesn't do anything for the actual display.

Here's a photo to make it easier to understand: http://mikaristar.deviantart.com/art/Monitor-638482316 The candy corn on the wallpaper (left) is supposed to be orange, the right image shows the settings in default after resetting the monitor (the actual monitor, not just the PC). I've also tried rebooting the PC but nothing changes. The fact that I can see red on the settings is what makes me wonder if it really is the monitor, since it's at least capable of displaying the color there... Any ideas?

The card is an Nvidia with 2 ports, the monitor is connected through an adapter (It doesn't fit directly). I've had this set up for a few years now.

Update: The monitor won't display anything, though the light flashes as if it were disconnected. Here's a photo of the adapter: http://mikaristar.deviantart.com/art/Adapter-638494543

Your wire is bad at some point.

You're using a D-SUB connection, i'd bet the farm on it. Its the only analog signal still out there for monitors.
Analog signals are funny because they can have weird symptoms. This doesn't happen with other connections, like HDMI.

Switch to a digital signal by using a DVI, or HDMI, that will clear this up completely.

If your monitor is old and is hard wired with the D-SUB plug, try really making sure its all secure and in place correctly.

mikari

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
The monitor only has the one port, I can replace the cable though it would still be VGA on the monitor plugged into a VDI Nvidia. I'll buy a new cable and hopefully find one that doesn't need an adapter and see how that goes.

mikari

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
I think I'll scrap this one, chances are something else got damaged along with the PS. Thinking about getting a surface pro to replace it, but I'm not sure yet.

mikari

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
I'm not home right now, so I can't check for specific numbers at the moment, but the motherboard is Asus, 16GB ram, 1TB HDD, Nvidia card, intel cpu. Originally this machine had a Gigabyte MB, which got fried along with the original cpu... I have a battery backup, but I guess it was useless in the end...