Question Display problems after graphics card test

Sep 27, 2020
Originally posted this on Reddit, but saw this forum and saw a lot of good answers and help, so thought I'd post it here too!

First of all, my current specs:
Intel i7-2700k
ASRock Phantom Gaming X RX590 8G OC
ASUS P8H77V-LE
8GB DDR3
500W PSU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

This system worked great, until I tried to test my old graphics card, an ASUS HD 6950 DirectCU II 1GB. I installed the ASUS card, but my monitor said ‘no signal’. I reinstalled the RX590 but it gave me a ‘no signal’ again. Stupidly, I don’t remember exactly what I tried next, as it was a couple days ago.

I've made a list of things that happen when I try various things. I don’t want to write everything out, so I’ll use the next abbreviations:

Acer: my Acer x243hq monitor, this is my main monitor
Philips: a spare Philips 191V2AB monitor
GDVI: DVI port on the RX590 card
MDVI : DVI port on my motherboard
MVGA: VGA port om my motherboard
DVI->VGA: DVI cable connected to Female DVI to Male VGA connector. If this is not noted, the correct cable is used. The connector is only used between cable and pc, not monitor to cable.

Now the list of things I’ve tried and the results:
Acer + GDVI = ‘no signal’
Acer + MDVI = ‘no signal’
Acer + MVGA + DVI->VGA = ‘no signal’
Acer + MVGA = Signal. Windows loading circle shows in the right resolution, disappears after seconds, reappears not fitting the monitor. After that it works fine, but it doesn’t fit the monitor. (I believe this had something to do with the refresh rate or something)
Philips + GDVI = Signal, but only in 640x480. This can’t be changed as the option is grayed out.
Philips + MDVI = ‘no signal’
Philips + MVGA + DVI->VGA = ‘no signal’
Philips + MVGA = signal, good resolution(1366x768), no problems.

• I checked the DVI cable I'm using on another pc, it worked.
  • I took out both the graphics card as well as the motherboard to check for damages, but couldn't find anything. Would love to get tips on what to look for specifically.
I'm at a bit of a loss now on what to do or try, so feel free to help, ask and share your thoughts!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Windows OS information?

Have you tried Safe Mode?

You did not mention drivers.

Manually download the drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Run the Windows' built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Possible corrupted Windows files - run "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

"dism" would be the next step.

Sep 27, 2020
Windows OS information?

Have you tried Safe Mode?

You did not mention drivers.

Manually download the drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Run the Windows' built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Possible corrupted Windows files - run "sfc /scannow" via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

"dism" would be the next step.
Thanks for answering!

All of the test have been done with Philips to GDVI.

Starting in safe mode with network, no signal. Tried again with Philips to MVGA, worked fine.

For the drivers:
  • Device manager shows ‘Generic non-PnP monitor’, I am able to install a ‘Philips 191V (19inch WIDE LCD MONITOR 191V2)’ driver, however this didn’t change anything as I still can’t change the resolution.
  • I tried updating the GPU driver. I used this link: http://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX590 8G OC/#Download and downloaded and installed the AMD graphics driver ver:18.12.1. This didn’t change anything either.
Ran “sfc /scannow”, no integrity violations.

To be honest, I couldn't find any helpful troubleshooters, but if you could point me to one that'd be great.

TRENDING THREADS