Question Display randomly degrades to very low quality, pixelated screen. Is it the monitor or GPU?

Apr 16, 2022
Hi all,

I recently purchased a gtx 3060 and an ASUS TUF VG259QM, but I'm randomly getting an error where the refresh rate is dropping (from 240hz) to 80hz and the quality looks very grainy and pixelated. I've purchased a high quality display port cable, as this was happening before with the provided one with the monitor and the issue still occurs.

It seems to happen occasionally when I change the display port I'm using on the GPU while my computer is already running or randomly (maybe under higher GPU load?). When I change the port again the error is sometimes resolved, but sometimes I have to fully restart my computer for 240hz to be an option again.

I have a very narrow window to return the GPU left, so I was wondering what ya'll thought would be the best idea.

Also, idk if this is related, but the text on my screen consistently appears a bit blurry, with purplish/greenish highlights around white text. it's okay, but I hadn't seen this before either, especially with a new GPU and 1080p display.

Apr 16, 2022
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Yjh34s

The PSU is a Corsair CX550m it's about 5 years old.

However, I did a PSU test with OCCT and it managed to pass one that ran for about 30 minutes, but I think the issue occurred during a different test around the same length.

It hasn't happened too often, only about once a week so far..

I was already planning on replacing the PSU at some point, but do you think that it could've degraded to a point where it has become unmanageable? it was able to sustain itself under max load for 30 minutes, so I felt fairly confident the PSU is still okay.

The drivers on the GPU are also only about a month old. Thank you for your input.