Display randomly shuts down if it turns on.

choodyjr

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Hello,
if i turn the pc and it shows the screen, i might get to windows sometimes, and if i get ot windows it might work for a bit, even might work a bit more. Once I start any game (if the pc will turn on) it shots the display, I can hear the sounds going on but after resetting PC display will not turn on and it will not boot to system any more.
Specs:
MSi Gaming 3 motherboard
Palit Geforce GTX 970 Jetstream 4GB
Intel I5 4590k
Corsair AX860 Modular

I hope you understand what I meant in my mumbling above. The pc turns on and sometimes will show the display when GPU is inserted. I tried different combinations of cables (one line, two lines, one line + molex adapter), originally i used two lines of cables, it sometimes work but mostly won't. PSU has one GPU power socket melted (don't ask please).
With GPU taken out and cables plugged to mobo DVI, system will run and work without any issues. I found a droplet of liquid on graphics (dried, wiped with 95% spirits and hot air dried it +4 hours wait over radiator). I have exhausted my options thus asking here. Is it the gpu dead? and why would it run sometimes and not most of the times? Is there any chance to revive it?

thanks everyone for answering.

Solution

No real way to fix a failed video card, past contacting the vendor for warranty support. At times people have gotten a partial or temporary fix by underclocking the video card or trying a reflow in an oven (you can find directions online for that). In most cases these did not work, or only worked for a short time.

choodyjr

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Ok so i finally had a time to check the GPU, it turns out it is the GPU.
Are there any possible solutions?
I have plugged GPU to working station and it worked for some time and then right on running a game it shut the display.
What can cause this? Is it fixable or GPU is just scrap now?

Thanks.

No real way to fix a failed video card, past contacting the vendor for warranty support. At times people have gotten a partial or temporary fix by underclocking the video card or trying a reflow in an oven (you can find directions online for that). In most cases these did not work, or only worked for a short time.

Solution

Check the warranty first, Palit I think has a 3 year warranty, if the card was purchased new within 3 years it is likely you can get it replaced under warranty.

choodyjr

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Will ask PALIT how does it work then. Thanks for informing me. I have purchased this card on ebay and do not have any documents, but I will try doing it this way. Thanks again.

choodyjr

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016

According to Palit support, card's warranty has expired in 2016, so thanks for the help will have to use bruteforce on one that broke it ;)
Thanks again.