Question Display randomly turns off and says "Windows has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware"

Mar 30, 2019
I have a PC with a
RX 580 with the most recent & updated radeon drivers
8gb of 2666 DDR4 RAM
i5 9400F cpu running @2.9 GHz

Everything runs smoothly on the PC, except every so often my screen will turn black, flash white once, then turn back on all within 5 seconds of each other. When the screen turns back on I get the error "Microsoft Windows Operating System has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" in the notification tab on the side. It only does it on average to heavy loads. I have already watched and followed 2 videos about fixing the general issue of a program being blocked from accessing graphics, but none of them addressed the entire operating system not being able to access graphics hardware. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

It looks to me your OS might be corrupt. Which OS is it, by the way ? Are you on a FRESH install copy of Windows OS ? Have you also tried to run the System File checker, sfc /scannow, or better yet, running the DISM command, assuming these could help alleviate this issue ?

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Also, try re-installing the GPU drivers as well. Which motherboard are you having ? Have you installed all the necessary chipset drivers, including the latest BIOS of your system ?

Last edited: