Display Resolution Setting in Registry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

Hello, I want to change display resolution, such as 800 x 600, of my
computer.
Can I change it from the registry, instead of change it in control panel?
Would you please tell me which key that I have to amend?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsnt.registry (More info?)

It is not good idea, if you do this change through registry, you need to
restart computer to apply changes and it is also possible there are adapter
specific parameters thats should be changed according to resolution
settings.

Control panel is using applet installed from videoadapter manufacturer and
is able to do this change more safely and apply it immediately.

The only reason to tweak these values via registry is situation you need to
change wrong resolution to any standard values in case current setting is
not accepted by monitor and you have problems to do this by standard way
(using VGA or Safe mode).

In such case look for your videaodapter service key under default hardware
profile in system registry hive.

HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Hardware Profiles\...

It s not too big key, and usually the only service here is videoadapter.

If you are doing this from running system, you can use CurrentControlSet
registry link, but if you do this change over network or on off-line system,
you need to find right ControSet00x index by looking to HKLM\SYSTEM\Select
key, "Default" value.