Question Display Screen is flickering after playing video. What's the problem? How to address it?

Jul 1, 2022
Recently, I installed a new display screen on my laptop. I was facing an issue of flickering and 1/3rd of the screen was not showing anything (totally black). The only option was to change the screen because no issues were found with hardware and software while checking at the service center. Also to be noted, when I tried to run at a 120 Hz refresh rate, flickering started and 1/3 of the screen was not working, but when I changed to 48Hz, the screen was functioning normally.

Now, after I changed the screen, when I play VLC media player or Amazon Prime Video application, the flickering starts again. [See the video link, Flickering issue video]. This also happens with the Netflix application, but not frequently. This flickering issue does not happen with Google Chrome or with any other application.
How does it stop it-by playing another video, or opening Chrome (because I think it is a graphic load issue).

What I have done so far: I changed the screen and used DDU to cleanly install the display driver and graphic driver.

Note:
This happens after videos only. Not with other things. The laptop is functioning normally.
Also, it reminds me of the early days when I bought this laptop, when I faced a similar issue, and with time, the intensity increased, which made me change the screen.

Details and Test:
Laptop Details
CPU- Z

Graphic Benchmark Test-
Link - Heaven 1 ; Heaven 2

UserBenchmark - This takes only Intel Graphics Card, not Nvidia.

UserBenchmarks: Game 9%, Desk 74%, Work 9%
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H - 79%
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 - 5.1%
SSD: WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1002 256GB - 149.5%
HDD: Seagate FireCuda 2.5" 1TB - 48.7%
RAM: Samsung M471A2K43DB1-CTD 1x16GB - 47.1%
MBD: Asus ROG Strix G531GT_G531GT

UserBenchmarks:
Game 9%, Desk 74%, Work 9%
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H - 79%
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 - 5.1%
SSD: WDC PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1002 256GB - 149.5%
HDD: Seagate FireCuda 2.5" 1TB - 48.7%
RAM: Samsung M471A2K43DB1-CTD 1x16GB - 47.1%
MBD: Asus ROG Strix G531GT_G531GT

GPU-Z: GPU detail

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Might I ask why you needed to replace the display? When you speak of replacing the screen on your laptop did you get the exact part number matched for the replacement screen prior to installing it? Using the wrong screen on your laptop can lead the flickering you speak of. As for your display drivers, did you install said driver using the latest off of GPU maker's support site?

As for your laptop;
https://rog.asus.com/bd/laptops/rog-strix/rog-strix-g-g531-series/spec
you're supposed to have a discrete GPU as well...it's not listed in your specs or Userbenchmark for that matter.

What BIOS version is your laptop on currently?

Reactions: NeelAmri
Jul 1, 2022
//why you need to replace the display?// - When I bought this laptop, I faced a similar issue of flickering whenever I played videos, and with time, the intensity of flickering increased and 1/3rd of the screen was not showing anything (totally black) See this video Old Flickering issue (though in link video, the flickering intensity is less). Also I noted that when I tried to run the display at a 120 Hz refresh rate, flickering started and 1/3 screen turned black, but when I changed to 48Hz, the screen was functioning normally. As recommended by Asus service center, they found changing screen is the only solution, which made me to agree with them.

//... replacing the screen ...get the exact part number matched ...prior to installing it?// - I don't know, I think those at service center make sure of it because they ordered it before installing.

//Using the wrong screen on your laptop can lead the flickering //- Can't say, I mean I was facing issue prior to installing new screen.

//... display drivers, did you install said driver using the latest off of GPU maker's support site? // - I used MyAsus app for updating drivers. After uninstalling drivers using DDU, I used myasus app, window update to install again all drivers.

Bios version - G531GT.308
Graphic Card - Apart from Intel(R) UHD graphics 630, I have Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 I suppose this is discrete GPU. And, you are right, I don't know why benchmarking software is not taking Nvidia GPU.