Display shifted 2 inches right

Zyrshnikashnu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
A few weeks ago, I booted my computer to find that the display was shifted 2 inches to the right. This problem was present in both my operating systems: Windows XP and Ubuntu GNU/Linux. Auto-adjusting the monitor didn't help, and neither did manually shifting the image with the monitor's controls.

I worked around the issue by switching my refresh rate to 75 Hz, up from 60 Hz. This worked for a while, but today I booted the computer to find the issue back again. Changing the refresh rate doesn't help anymore.

I should also note that this only happens on the monitor's native resolution: 1440x900. All other resolutions use the entire screen.

The hardware in question is a Gateway FPD1975W 19-inch monitor and an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT.

Can anyone help me identify which piece of hardware is to blame, and perhaps suggest a solution?

Had same problem with not being able to obtain better than 1440x900 resolution with Samsung T220. Downloaded latest NVIDIA update to version 1.2.0.82 then changed refresh rate to 60hZ.
At the lower refresh rate the full 1680x1050 resolution was available. Monitor works great now. Hope this helps.

NOTICE: u should know that if u modify edid in your panel u lose warranty!

thanks to old friend google & my patience i get native resolution (and other wide res.) with new edid

before u run command for rewriting edid go to service menu, it will disable write protection for while

how to enter service menu:

1. Set contrast and brightness to 0
2. Press the « Menu » button
3. Press the « Source » button for 5 seconds (the second one on the right)

for exit just switch panel off...

I copied the Raw data from his post into a file using HexEdit, and flashed the monitor using PowerStrip v. 3.83. (I ordered version 3.85, but it didn't arrive in my mail until much later).

turns out that it has the WRONG EDID information

unfortunately powerstrip edid update function is only for registred users, which means u have to pay for it...
update edid via http://www.geocities.com/jgeneedid/EDID_Writer.zip