[SOLVED] Display shows screen for split second then goes black when powered on.

Oct 1, 2018
Hi, today my monitor (HP 2311x) started acting up suddenly. I had left my computer on sleep mode for few hours as I had left to do some errands. As I came back, I woke up my computer and when returned few minutes later, my screen was fully black but the monitor showed that it was still powered (blue light indicator on monitor) rather than being in "sleep mode" (orange light indicator on monitor) that it usually does if I am away for few minutes when it goes to the login screen.

The monitor did not react to my mouse or keyboard input, so I turned off my monitor and then back on only to notice that it showed my login screen for split second and then went back to black. I tried pressing the menu button on the monitor to only get the same result and also when I unplugged and plugged back the cables between monitor and computer. When I tried to see if restarting my computer would do anything, it just showed split second from the start up when the computer started and then went black again.

When I switched from my monitor to my TV screen, everything seems to be working fine without any issues so far, 2 hours now. I also tested my monitor without connecting it to anything and got only slight "flash" of light in the edges of the screen before going black. Usually the monitor clearly lights up the black screen, then shows a pop up where it searches between connections and then goes to sleep (orange light) if it doesn't find anything but none of this happened. It just stays powered on state (blue light) and pitch black. I also tried pressing the menu button and other buttons but nothing happened.

I do have to mention that the monitor is about 4 to 5 years old by now, so I guess it could be dead due age but I guess I'm hoping to still have a chance of saving it. Please give me your opinion's on this and thanks for advance :)

Oct 1, 2018

I manage to test it this morning and after resting for the night, the monitor works again. Both on my pc and on another pc. I tried both different cables and same cables but this time, no issues at all on either pc's or cables.

Edit: I only managed to run a few minutes test where I quickly tested the monitor on computers and when noticed that it worked on the other pc, I just quickly connect it back to my pc with both cables to see that the monitor worked on my pc with both cables at that moment . I will test the monitor longer on normal use later today to see if it then shows any issues.