Display shut off, no more post = (

dabelg

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Hello everyone,

I was using my sweet homebuilt computer when all of a sudden the display shut off. Computer still running, restarted, still no display... but this time no beep, no post... All fans and lights still run.

Took matters into my own hands, tried removing every component and swapping video cards still nothing. Even had it down to just a video card, no ram or HDs. Anyone have any suggestions? Find Specs below.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G1975X
CPU: Pentium D 3.2ghz
RAM: 4G DDR2 Patriot 800mhz
HD: RAID 0 2x 500gb WD 7200 RPM
Video: 2x Radeon X1800 512Mb crossfire

The motherboard displays the code "FF" which according to GB website means "boot initiated"

What do you guys think? Fried mobo?

CSBarnes

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
It kind of sounds like a motherboard problem I had. I would turn it on but the screen wouldn't do anything. I removed the ram, it would beep continuously. I tried one stick of RAM on 2 of 4 slots nothing, I moved it to the third spot and the screen started working, unfortunately I had a bad bios check sum. I would recommend trying each stick of RAM in every slot, one at a time. Good luck.

dabelg

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Thanks for the responses... The CMOS reset didn't do anything. I will try the RAM solution when I have more time and post the results.

dabelg

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
The latest update:

I bought a new motherboard for the system and the same thing happened with the new board. I'm really at a loss here. I'm trying new processor and RAM next...