Display shuts off while computer remains on

unkemt

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
For the last few months about once a day my display will shut off while the PC itself remains on. Sounds will still play, keyboard shortcuts still work etc. When it happens, the fans on my PC will all start spinning at maximum speed.

It almost always happens when I'm playing a game (has happened recently will Smite, Dota2 and EVE online, interestingly has not happened with Witcher2, Dishonored or Assassins Creed Revelations) and seems to be random. Sometimes I can play the game for hours and it won't happen, sometimes I've barely loaded up and it triggers. The problem never happens if a game is not running and rarely happens more than once per day (even if I continue to play games).

I've tried running stress tests on both the CPU and GPU, trying to replicate the problem, but it has never occurred even when running for a long time.

I replaced my monitor today, so that definitely isn't the problem. Also I've not noticed temperatures to be overly high at any point and the case fan outputs are always cool.

My setup:

Windows 7 64 bit
CT064M4SSD2BAA 64GB Crucial m4 2.5" SSD (OS Drive)
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
i7-477K @3.5GHz (stock speed)
8GB RAM 1300mz
AMD Radeon HD 7870 (HDMI out and VGA - two monitor setup)
Corsair CX750 Builder Series
Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two V3 Mid Tower

I don't have the money or means to try replacing the video card or motherboard unfortunately.

Does anyone have any ideas for what might be causing the problem?

gizzard1987

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
It sounds to me like the GPU might be failing but if it doesn't do it under a stress test that leaves me rather stumped. I know it won't be pretty, but maybe try replicating the problem without the graphics card in the system.

On a side note, I've heard of power saver settings causing issues like this is full screen games. It doesn't recognize that the computer is actually being used somehow. All the times I've seen these issues though, it's been with Windows 8. Maybe check your power save settings to see if maybe your display is timing out due to "inactivity".

unkemt

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
That's a good idea, maybe the GPU fails when the analogue output is running a game and the digital output is still on. Would explain why some games (normally run on the digital output instead) don't cause this issue. I'll start testing by shutting down the digital output each time I load a game and see if it happens again.