Display signal lost after few minutes and no hdd light glowing

vermavishnuverma

Prominent
Apr 9, 2018
As the title says my pc keeps turning off the display after a few minutes and there is no hdd activity as the hdd light doesn't blink. I also pressed the num lock key but it doesn't blink. My pc seems to be frozen. It doesn't relate to a hdd failure as when I plug out the hard drive the same happens when I boot from cd. windows boots up. Everything works fine but after few minutes the display goes off(does not matter if it is active or idle.) . Even happens in BIOS setup.
It is my iGpu(g31 chipset). No other graphic card is installed.Temps around 40-50c. Specs:
Intel core 2 duo e8400@3.06ghz
3 gb ram
biostar g31d m7
Samsung sata 3gbps 7200 rpm hdd

Solution
This could be anything from a bad psu, to bad ram, to bad cpu. If you can swap out any of these to check, that would be something to try. Also, check and make sure all the wiring is well secured

Also that seems like a very small amount of ram these days. If you're running win10 i think the recommended basic amount of ram is 4gb. Also make sure you are using the same type of ram if you have multiple sticks. And different motherboards/cpus have requirements/suggested mhz on the ram

flarenial

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
This could be anything from a bad psu, to bad ram, to bad cpu. If you can swap out any of these to check, that would be something to try. Also, check and make sure all the wiring is well secured

Also that seems like a very small amount of ram these days. If you're running win10 i think the recommended basic amount of ram is 4gb. Also make sure you are using the same type of ram if you have multiple sticks. And different motherboards/cpus have requirements/suggested mhz on the ram

Solution