Display still turns off when running Radeon GPU

washingm088

Reputable
Jun 23, 2018
So I want to use the Twin Frozr iii r7950 that I got for free, but when opening a game the display turned off. I did some research and found out is was my PSU. The minimum wattage needed for this card is 500w. I went ahead and got a 600w PSU today, and upon booting it up and opening a game the same thing happens, monitor goes to sleep and never comes on. Could it be that my PSU isn’t good enough quality? Thanks in advance

Solution
It's a pretty basic EVGA PSU but as I said it's better than your current PSU. However if you can spend a little bit more, this PSU => https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-cx-m-series-650w-atx12v-2-4-eps12v-2-92-modular-power-supply-matte-black/5845214.p?skuId=5845214, is much better and totally worth the price difference. It will probably last longer than the EVGA model (longer warranty) and it's based on a more modern and better platform. It also has modular cables and it has much better efficiency (consumes less power). Good luck.
You need a good "quality" PSU. The total wattage number doesn't tell you anything. I can show you a dozen 600-800W units that are crap and are in reality 200-300W units. Please post the complete model number of your PSU. Having said that your graphics card could still be faulty since it is pretty old and usually GPUs over 3-4 old years aren't considered too reliable but then again that depends on how heavily that GPU has been used. What do you know about this graphics card's history? Was it working before?

So you'll have to pair that GPU with a good and capable PSU in order to be certain about its true condition. Good luck.

That PSU is a pretty old model. It's not terrible but it's mediocre by today's standards.

The GPU could still be faulty. It's very old and is very likely to have stability issues and when it's paired with a "bad" PSU those issues may get more severe. Also faulty/dying GPUs can still be recognised by the PC (BIOS & OS) and the drivers but once you try to play a game they crash. You have to test your system with another and better PSU. Only then you'll be able to take the PSU factor out of the equation. Once you are able to do that you can try 2-3 things in order to increase GPU stability like raising the GPU & VRAM voltage but you have to have a good solid PSU in order to get there.

Finally try to monitor the GPU temperature. It may be overheating and since it's pretty old it's cooling system may require some cleaning and may even need new thermal paste. Also make sure that all GPU fans are working. Good luck.

Logically it should be better than what you already have, but can you post a link for that PSU or its model number? The information you posted is incomplete. EVGA does offer some pretty good PSUs but its lower priced models are not so good but they should be better and more modern than the old Rosewill PSU. Good luck.

It's a pretty basic EVGA PSU but as I said it's better than your current PSU. However if you can spend a little bit more, this PSU => https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-cx-m-series-650w-atx12v-2-4-eps12v-2-92-modular-power-supply-matte-black/5845214.p?skuId=5845214, is much better and totally worth the price difference. It will probably last longer than the EVGA model (longer warranty) and it's based on a more modern and better platform. It also has modular cables and it has much better efficiency (consumes less power). Good luck.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS