Question Display stops, GPU fans start spinning at full speed.

nathan1337

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
Hi All,

I've recently been getting an issue where randomly my display will lose all signal and my GPU fans will begin to speed up very rapidly, outside of when this happens everything will work perfectly normal. This started after my previous power supply fried itself (a very cheap gamemax one, I think it was 600w, smoke literally came out of it when it died). I purchased a new one (Cooler Master MWE 550W 80+ Gold fully modular) as well as a new case and fans at the same time. Everything seemed to be running perfectly fine for maybe 2 hours of play, until during a game of CS:GO the screen turned black and the fans started going at full speed, also note I could still hear in-game sound.

Here what i've checked so far:
  • I've checked the pins on the GPU to make sure that I didn't damage any upon installing it in my new case and all seems fine.
  • I've wiped and updated my Nvidia Drivers
  • Monitored temps, it's been idling around 55 degrees C, and getting around 65-70 ingame, it was about 65 when one of the blackouts occured
  • Tried wiggling around displayport cable to make sure there was no loose pins, and tried a different cable.
Whats changed since it worked last:
  • I've swapped out my parts to a new case (Thermaltake H18) and put new fans in
  • Applied new thermal paste to my CPU
  • New power supply
My setup:
ASrock B150m motherboard
i3 6100 CPU (stock cpu cooler)
ASUS Dual OC 6GB 1060 Graphics Card
Cooler Master MWE 550W 80+ Gold PSU
HyperX 2x4 GB ram
Thermaltake H18 Case
Windows 10 64bit
Benq XL2411p 144hz screen (displayport)

Cheers, Nath