Display suddenly stopped working

bananatrooper52

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
I was using my computer just fine today when I decided to restart. The computer booted up but the monitors did not receive any signal. I've been trying to fix the problem for two hours and I have no idea what the problem could be.

What I know:
-I can access the computer fine from Chrome Remote desktop so I know none of the core components are dead
-I know that the monitors and cables are okay because they worked with another computer
-I tried plugging the monitors into the motherboard HDMI and still no use
-I tried resetting the CMOS - no use (unless I did it wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was right)
-I switched the RAM around
-I even tried a different graphics card and switching PCI-E slots and it didn't help

I'm on Windows 10, GTX 1060 Ti. It might also be important to note that prior to this one of my monitors got two horizontal rows of stuck pixels, however I don't see how this could cause a problem to both and I know that they work on other computers.

What on earth could I possibly have done wrong?!

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
whats your motherboard? does it support VGA? well anyways sinc eyou can access your computer thru chrome. try the following below.
open up your device manager. go to display. check to see which adapter is active.

also recheck the power cable of your pc and monitor. try unplugging them both and reattach firmly.

how about also removing the GPU and one keep one stick of RAM in case you havent tried that?

bananatrooper52

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017

I tried removing the GPU and using the motherboard's VGA and I got in fine, but once I plugged the GPU back in, it or the motherboard don't give anything to the screen.

After that I went back into Remote Desktop and verified that the graphics card does appear in device manager. None of my monitors are showing up, though. The computer isn't recognizing them I think. I tried reinstalling the drivers but nothing has changed.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
okay now that your internal graphics works thru vga. try going into your BIOS and explicitly set the graphics to PCIE instead of "auto/igpu/cpu". and disable "igpu multimonitor". you said you tried installing your nvidia just fine. so that means your computer sees your GPU. this could be a conflict with your intel HD graphics. also try to disable/uninstall that in your device manager as well. if the BIOS doesnt work.

remember to keep your vga connected to one monitor. and a hdmi/dvi cable to your other. are you planning to ONLY use your gpu for both monitors? if you still want to use your internal graphics for your other monitor, we can try re-enabling the driver and the BIOS later after we fix your GPU display.

bananatrooper52

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017

After fiddling with the BIOS settings I was able to get the internal VGA to run while the GPU is plugged in. I'm now seeing the GPU and Intel Graphics side by side under display adapters in device manager. No errors on GPU. I can also connect both monitors via VGA and HDMI to internal graphics at the same time, but still nothing with GPU. If I try to access nvidia control panel with monitors plugged into graphics card, it says that none are connected.

bananatrooper52

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017

Tried it. No use. And I don't know what I did, but the VGA seems to have stopped working again. Very strange. What could cause the monitors to suddenly stop working after one restart?

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
weve changed your BIOS to use PCIE with your CPU disabled. and it depends on motherboards tho. others would auto switch to CPU graphics if no output display is connected to your GPU. just re-enable CPU or just go auto if that option is there in your BIOS.

bananatrooper52

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017

Okay I tried this but still no change. Again, if the graphics card is plugged in, then both the internal graphics and the external GPU stop working. When I remove it, I can use internal graphics again. Is it possible that my graphics card is just dead even though it shows up in device manager?

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
have you tried this fix? it seemed to work for people with this kind of issue in other forums.

"turn off PC, and unplug the power supply. hold the power button on your case for 30 seconds."

if that doesnt work, then i guess youll have to try testing that gpu on somebody elses computer or just bring that to a shop for testing/repair. or it could be your monitor that got fried. try testing your hdmi and dvi display with another computer. or with your internal graphics with the gpu removed.

bananatrooper52

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017

I did try the fix you're talking about, but it didn't work. I already tested my monitor with another computer. Unfortunately I live in a small place and have no friends with a computer to test my GPU in and the nearest computer shop is 4000 km away. I think that the GPU is probably shot, strange how that could happen when I didn't do anything to it. I might get a new one if I can't find a solution in the next couple of days. Sometimes just leaving the computer to sit for a while fixes things, who knows. Well thanks anyway. I'll report back if I find have any changes.

bananatrooper52

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Update: I tried plugging the screen into GPU HDMI again and it seems to work. Unfortunately I only have one HDMI port on my graphics card. I think it might be because I had DVI -> HDMI -> DisplayPort and maybe that was too many adapters. I ordered two plain DVI - DisplayPort adapters so we'll see if that works. Still don't know why that would cause it to fail suddenly though.

bananatrooper52

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
Well the new DVI to DisplayPort cables came in today and I plugged them in and the screens turned on just fine right off the bat. A pretty obscure fix, but hopefully some others will find some useful information of this thread.