[SOLVED] Display Suddenly Went Off While Editing Videos. Is my GPU dead?

Jan 4, 2020
CPU: i5-4460

MotherBoard: MSI ms-7846

RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR3 Kingston

HDD: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100

SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SATA

GPU: Palit GTX 1050Ti

My power supply is 500W offbrand

While editing a video, the display in my monitor went out, but the audio was still there. I tried restarting and still no display. I removed the GPU suspecting it to be the culprit, and my computer is working again. Is my GPU dead? I can't test it on a different system.

Solution
Can I still salvage my GPU?
Probably not.
After having tried it in TWO other PCs and still nothing, the gpu is clearly(to me) damaged.
GTX 1050Ti isn't that old, and it's a low power gpu.

You would need to open the gpu up and check where the damage is. Once you find that, then you would need to replace the part(s) afflicted - IF the damage to the gpu isn't too severe, aka beyond repair - and be able to weld the new parts back on.

Your offbrand psu most likely fried the 1050Ti somewhere. Don't continue to use it; replace it before you get another graphics card.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No way to know for sure without some kind of troubleshooting, but that would be the logical conclusion.

The make and model of that 'offbrand' psu is needed. Open the case up, find the information label, take a pic of said label, and post it here through imgur.com or something.

Jan 4, 2020
No way to know for sure without some kind of troubleshooting, but that would be the logical conclusion.

The make and model of that 'offbrand' psu is needed. Open the case up, find the information label, take a pic of said label, and post it here through imgur.com or something.

View: https://imgur.com/a/rXGBu6r
here it is. I used it with the gpu for around 3 years. Do you think still this is the culprit. I just discovered also that one of the two screws in my gpu are kina loose, but I still think it supports the gpu's weight.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It certainly isn't great, but your current setup isn't really pushing it either.

Any physical damage you can see on the gpu itself?
Are any of the LEDs visible on the card when you turn the PC on?
How about the fans? They should spin up temporarily for POST.

Jan 4, 2020
It certainly isn't great, but your current setup isn't really pushing it either.

Any physical damage you can see on the gpu itself?
Are any of the LEDs visible on the card when you turn the PC on?
How about the fans? They should spin up temporarily for POST.

Thee GPU fans spin when I turn the PC on, I really don't see any physical damage to the GPU and my GPU doesn't have RGB.

Jan 4, 2020
I'll try plugging in a different monitor cable but not anytime soon, i'll look if I can borrow one. But I already tried plugging in the monitor cable to a laptop I borrowed, and it works. I also tried putting back the GPU and connecting the monitor to a VGA slot in my mobo and it just displays "no signal"(same thing if I plug it to the GPU hdmi slot). I'm using an older monitor that uses VGA, I use a VGA to HDMI adapter to connect to my GPU. Is there a possibility of this being a software issue? Do you have any suggestions what to check for in the meantime?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is there a possibility of this being a software issue?
Negative. It's hardware.
IF the gpu actually HAS kicked the bucket, you'd want to know what did it. Unfortunately, the most common killer of gpus are subpar power supplies.

-Nothing works while the gpu is in
-Everything's fine with the gpu removed

When you plugged the monitor to that laptop, did you still have to use the adapter? If not, perhaps that device failed?

Do you have any suggestions what to check for in the meantime?
Does your motherboard have a 2nd PCIE slot to install the gpu?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020
I don't have a 2nd PCIE slot. I also didn't use the adapter for the laptop. But the fact still remains that I don't get a display if I connect via VGA mobo or via VGA -> HDMI adapter -> GPU, imo it's more likely that the cables are fine, and that the problem is with the GPU. Should I bring this to a repair shop, or tinker around with it some more? I'm still going to try connecting it to a different monitor btw.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
But the fact still remains that I don't get a display if I connect via VGA mobo or via VGA -> HDMI adapter -> GPU
That's because, with just the gpu installed, even though you have the monitor plugged into the motherboard, the board automatically detects the gpu in the PCIE slot and is trying to run the graphics from there, so nothing happens.

You said earlier, that when you remove the gpu, the PC works fine from the mobo.
You also don't use the adapter for the laptop.

The common denominator I'm currently seeing, besides a possible damaged gpu, is that the adapter broke on you, but you don't have any other cable around to plug into the gpu at the moment.

You can try taking the gpu to a shop for testing, or perhaps get a new adapter. Whichever is easier for you.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Can I still salvage my GPU?
Probably not.
After having tried it in TWO other PCs and still nothing, the gpu is clearly(to me) damaged.
GTX 1050Ti isn't that old, and it's a low power gpu.

You would need to open the gpu up and check where the damage is. Once you find that, then you would need to replace the part(s) afflicted - IF the damage to the gpu isn't too severe, aka beyond repair - and be able to weld the new parts back on.

Your offbrand psu most likely fried the 1050Ti somewhere. Don't continue to use it; replace it before you get another graphics card.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS