Question Display turning on and off, random pixels sometimes, and "Cannot set display to this mode" message on the monitor ?

Dec 26, 2022
NOTE: I initially thought it was some issue with Arch, so there's already a thread I've opened in their forums as well: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=282250
However I believe it's a hardware issue because I've tried all sorts of things to troubleshoot through the OS.

1. For the past two weeks, my monitor has been doing a very weird thing: It'll show some sort of blue pixels for a few seconds, then turn off, then try to set some bogus resolution which makes it turn off for even longer. The OS didn't report anything, neither did X.org. As I said above, I initially thought it was some problem with my OS (Arch Linux) but from what it looks like, it's some sort of hardware problem, or at least something I can't quite figure out. The monitor is a Philips 1920x1080 at 60hz refresh rate (I don't remember the exact model), connected through DVI-D. My graphics card is a Radeon RX550 4GB.
What I've tried:
  1. Checking and replugging all cables related to my monitor, as well as the PSU (Idk maybe my PSU couldn't get enough energy)
  2. Upgrading the system (And hence, the drivers, since they come with the kernel)
  3. Checking system logs, without any particular luck
  4. Resetting the OSD settings, as well as the BIOS settings
  5. Pressing and shaking the monitor (Good old method, worked on my TV and my older PC monitor)
I also plan to swap the cables (Move the part connected to the GPU to the monitor and vice versa) and perhaps buying a new cable. I don't have anything to test on (Not even a second cable). Anybody can help?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022
Have you tried the adapter with a HDMI cable?

Do you have a TV with a HDMI port?

Testing with an alternate display/cable would help isolate the issue.

Yes, I tried the adapter, nothing changes. I have an old TV from 2008, but 1. I don't think it supports HDMI, 2, even if it did, it's impossible to connect it to my computer, because the computer is in the exact opposite side of the house (At least 30 meters), and I have nowhere to plug it as my TV occupies the only available outlet. I could try connecting the monitor itself only, but will this even show anything on the screen?