Question Display turns off at slightest knock

Apr 9, 2019
Hi, hope someone could help me, I have my computer on top of some draws, everytime I close the draw even if I do it gently it knocks my display off the computer, it even happens if I just knock it with my knuckle, the computer stays on the display doesnt, I try to turn the computer off by button but it wont off unless I do it by the psu switch, could someone shed some light on what it maybe as it's driving me insane, many thanks.

Hi, hope someone could help me, I have my computer on top of some draws, everytime I close the draw even if I do it gently it knocks my display off the computer, it even happens if I just knock it with my knuckle, the computer stays on the display doesnt, I try to turn the computer off by button but it wont off unless I do it by the psu switch, could someone shed some light on what it maybe as it's driving me insane, many thanks.
Are all the cords plugged in securely if there moving around at all and not a clean connection you will get this problem if they are then you probably need a new monitior

Apr 9, 2019
Are all the cords plugged in securely if there moving around at all and not a clean connection you will get this problem if they are then you probably need a new monitior
Yeah all the cords are in correctly, I tried different cords also to rule that out, I think it's more to do with the computer than the actual monitor as when I plug something else into the monitor it doesn't do it.

Apr 9, 2019
Have you tried a difrent monitor? Have you checked to see that the gpu is fully seated still if it has no screw holding it in it's wight can be pulling on the card slot and breaking it and or card could be slightly dislodging
No I've not tried a different monitor yet, I've took the gpu out and put it back in today and tightend the holding screws, as I thought that's what it may had been as I've a gtx 970 MSI armor version with its fair share of gpu sag, but I don't think it's that.

No I've not tried a different monitor yet, I've took the gpu out and put it back in today and tightend the holding screws, as I thought that's what it may had been as I've a gtx 970 MSI armor version with its fair share of gpu sag, but I don't think it's that.
Do you have a second gpu port? If so just test it in the second port if it dosn't do it you have your answer if not see if you can test it in another system the port on your board may be damaged

From what you told us, I'd first try to figure out if we are dealing with a power issue, a signal issue or something else entirely.

I find it interesting that you cannot turn the computer off through the power button. That could mean it actually hanged, and this would make a video issue less likely to be the root cause. Does the power button work normally when the display is ok? Try to check if the computer is still working normally when the display crashes.

Another possiblity would be a signal issue, which you already seem to be investigating by using a different port/cable on the VGA.

Lastly, you could check the event viewer for warnings and errors around the time of the issue.

Apr 9, 2019
From what you told us, I'd first try to figure out if we are dealing with a power issue, a signal issue or something else entirely.

I find it interesting that you cannot turn the computer off through the power button. That could mean it actually hanged, and this would make a video issue less likely to be the root cause. Does the power button work normally when the display is ok? Try to check if the computer is still working normally when the display crashes.

Another possiblity would be a signal issue, which you already seem to be investigating by using a different port/cable on the VGA.

Lastly, you could check the event viewer for warnings and erros around the time of the issue.
Yeah the computer display doesn't work when it happens I've just tried to plug it into another monitor when I knocked it just now, I think the event just says kernel error computer not shut down properly once I checked it before but i think that would be me turning it off by the switch, as the power button is non responsive when it happens.

Apr 9, 2019
I mean the motherboard all stays lit up and the fans when it happens just can't get a display or turn the thing of properly lol, I'm thinking maybe it's a short somewhere but I'm not entirely sure.

It's looking like the OS has crashed, so not just a display issue. If you have headphones, you could try checking if the PC is still working without the display by leaving a youtube video running so you can start/stop with spacebar. If you can still start/stop the video, you have a video issue. If not, your OS has crashed.

If you can't do that, I'd assume an OS crash and troubleshoot that. For this, what I usually do is remove all hardware that isn't absolutely essential and reintroduce them gradually. So that would leave you with only CPU, Motherboard, 1 stick of ram, a VGA if onboard is not available and a boot disk (USB would be preferrable to your actual OS disk). Get that running and run some stress tests. See if it still happens and go from there.