[SOLVED] Display turns off while PC is running or Computer reboots randomly (Windows update?)

Dec 5, 2018
Hello,
I put this system together a year ago.
Now, I am having weird problems with the display turning off randomly while the PC keeps running when I run games or graphics intensive apps. Even though the PC is running, it cannot detect keyboard input as pressing num lock does nothing. Sometimes, the PC also reboots randomly but this is rare (maybe once a day, the display off is usually minutes after I start a game or photoshop, ...)

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270E Gaming
RAM: Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit
GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB or AMD RX 550
CPU: Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K
Liquid Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series CWCH100i Extreme Performance CPU Cooler
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM, 1000W ECO Mode
Windows: Version 1809 Build 17763.134

The problem persists even if I change the graphics card to the RX550 so I don't think it can be the GPU.

I had a faulty PSU (EVGA 850 G2) which caused random shutdowns so I bought the 1000 watt PSU couple months ago. And everything was running fine until I installed the last Windows update which was 11/13/2018.
I am hoping it is the Windows update. I have the latest drivers for both the NVIDIA and AMD cards.

Solution
Sounds like a PSU issue at first glance but it might be something else entirely. Have you made sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Have you tried working with the system breadboarded? Can you get into Safe Mode? If so, backup all critical content from C drive and proceed to reinstall OS after creating bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Lutfij

Titan
Sounds like a PSU issue at first glance but it might be something else entirely. Have you made sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Have you tried working with the system breadboarded? Can you get into Safe Mode? If so, backup all critical content from C drive and proceed to reinstall OS after creating bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Solution