display turns off

Aug 30, 2018
Sometimes when i play games on my computer,the display turns off for no reason while everything else is working properly.When this happens,i hear the sound that plays when a device is plugged in.
The problem can only be fixed via restart.I have tried unplugging the hdmi from the gpu to the integrated graphics with no solution and also checked eventvwr for any suspicious error but i did not see anything special.A while ago this problem happened but when it did,the computer completely froze and the gpu fan ran full speed.This got fixed by upgrading the gpu drivers.When i browse the internet this problem does not happen,also never happens while at idle.
Pc specs:
Cpu:intel core i5 6600k
Ram:32gb ddr3
Gpu:Gigabyte geforce gtx 1060 6gb
Motherboard:gigabyte z170-hd3-ddr3
Ssd: ocz agility 3 230gb
HDD:Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB
HDD2:unknown,300gb
Wireless network card
usb 2.0 expansion card
usb 3.0 expansion card
Psu:thermaltake 850w
The system is 2 years old and it had no problems at all so far.

or.at2497

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018
probably a monitor fault. i encountered this problem in some cases with tvs and my personal monitor. from all of the troubleshooting ive tried (and i tried everything except tearing up the monitor), the only conclusion ive got is that the product has a fault. if the monitor is still in warranty period then i suggest u to handle the monitor for repair.

Aug 30, 2018
didn't mention that the monitor goes into no signal mode and doesn't completely turn off as you may have understood.it may aswell be the cable but i will check that out later(but how is this possible since it only happens under certain conditions?)

or.at2497

Prominent
Jul 29, 2018
the cases i encountered are when someone at home plugs in or out an electrical instrument, the monitors made a "restart". your case sounds worse than what i saw lol. if u do find the problem or handle it for repair and it is really the solution, please report here. i would like to know if it is the solution.

Aug 30, 2018
update:left the computer on for a couple hours while i was away and nothing happened,seems like this happens when it is under load only.will try my best to identify it.no overheating or signals of anything being burnt so it's good so far

Aug 30, 2018

Well it seems like i dont know what the problem is since i re-seated the ram sticks and removed the gpu for inspection without seeing anything faulty

edit :problem happened once again,reinstalled the drivers completely and hoping for the best rn
edit2:after a lot of use it hasnt happened,it may have been the faulty drivers,if it does,i'll exchange gpu's with a friend and if the gpu is the fault i'll buy another one,if it isnt the gpu it may be the psu which is almost 6 years old.

TRENDING THREADS